A few question about getting into pharmacy at usyd :) (1 Viewer)

hayhay2012

HSC
Hi everyone
I really want to study pharmacy next year at usyd~I'm in year 12 now but I am confused about a few things
firstly, I don't do chemistry or biology which is assumed knowledge. I am fine with taking bridging courses but in wondering are applicants who already have Chem etc favored even if I receive the same atar as them?like in the offers I mean
also the min stat score is 150 but if I got 180 for e.g would I benefit or is the stat just a hurdle you need to pass an atar is more important
tothose who have completed or are completing this degree do you like it? Are the job prospects high?
thanks so much everyone in advance

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
no, there is no favouritism
there were some ppl that didnt do any science courses and did fine
stat is just a hurdle
i think the the degree is enjoyable to some extent especially when you get to 3rd yr where you learn the important stuff
1st yr is basically useless, 2nd yr was really difficult
in terms of job prospect- really poor, i think graduates these days are really finding it hard to find work especially in community pharmacy, i know most tend study a new degree
it will be only worse for you guys when supersaturation is reached

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
For a moment, I thought it was that guy Hayabusabouston or something posting.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
stat is just a hurdle
i think the the degree is enjoyable to some extent especially when you get to 3rd yr where you learn the important stuff
in terms of job prospect- really poor, i think graduates these days are really finding it hard to find work especially in community pharmacy, i know most tend study a new degree
I've been curious - What other job prospects are there apart from working at a pharmacy?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I've been curious - What other job prospects are there apart from working at a pharmacy?
My sister has a Pharmacy degree, and recently got a new job at a place where they actually make the medicines.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
hospital, rural (fairly bland for me), pharmaceutical industry-designing new drugs, chemical structures gives me a headache >.<
international, research

cssftw

HSC
stat is just a hurdle
don't listen to this bloody bogan. Pharmacy degrees are offered to few universities. USYD is the most prestigious of them all. And also if you work hard - get in the top 10%, it is easy to find a job. Remember the top 20% get into honours - just work hard and it will pay off. The people that find it difficult to get jobs are the people that didn't study hard enough and received credit avg's.

Also retail pharmacy appears to be the most boring shit ever. I can't even sit still in a 1hr lecture - standing behind a counter for 8hrs would be murder - but that's just me. There are so many other jobs - e.g. hospital pharmacy, you can prepare chemotherapy for cancer patients.

- Academia - be a professor
- Industrial pharmacy - creation of new drugs. I don't exactly like this sector, because I did the pharmacy degree so I could help people - pharmaceutical companies tend to make bullshit drugs and advertise them as though you need them to stay healthy (e.g. BLACKMORES SUPPLEMENTS) - money-making is a prerogative in their eyes
- Rural pharmacy - super high pay. E.g. go to tamworth for a few years ---> $120K/yr + free house.

Oh and by the way. I suggest you go to graduatecareers.com - look at the statistics, pharmacy is the DEGREE WHERE GRADUATES find a job THE FASTEST - 97.3% get a job in the first 4 months.

Most other degrees are about in the 80's % percentage wise, regarding how many of the graduates can find jobs. Mining Engineering is 99%, medicine is 98%, and pharmacy is 97%

Last edited:

RANK 1

HSC
don't listen to this bloody bogan. Pharmacy degrees are offered to few universities. USYD is the most prestigious of them all. And also if you work hard - get in the top 10%, it is easy to find a job. Remember the top 20% get into honours - just work hard and it will pay off. The people that find it difficult to get jobs are the people that didn't study hard enough and received credit avg's.

Also retail pharmacy appears to be the most boring shit ever. I can't even sit still in a 1hr lecture - standing behind a counter for 8hrs would be murder - but that's just me. There are so many other jobs - e.g. hospital pharmacy, you can prepare chemotherapy for cancer patients.

- Industrial pharmacy - creation of new drugs. I don't exactly like this sector, because I did the pharmacy degree so I could help people - pharmaceutical companies tend to make bullshit drugs and advertise them as though you need them to stay healthy (e.g. BLACKMORES SUPPLEMENTS) - money-making is a prerogative in their eyes
- Rural pharmacy - super high pay. E.g. go to tamworth for a few years ---> $120K/yr + free house.

Oh and by the way. I suggest you go to graduatecareers.com - look at the statistics, pharmacy is the DEGREE WHERE GRADUATES find a job THE FASTEST - 97.3% get a job in the first 4 months.

Most other degrees are about in the 80's % percentage wise, regarding how many of the graduates can find jobs. Mining Engineering is 99%, medicine is 98%, and pharmacy is 97%
if you wanted to help people why would you choose pharmacy then? surely theres way more other careers out there thats better than pharmacy when it comes to helping people

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC

lol from someone who isnt even halfway in their 1st yr uni and completed their hsc last yr
that 97% stat only reflect internship yr but when you actually apply for a job, its much lower than that
i'm not sure about you, but pharmacy is a mess
why do you think the ATAR cut off for pharmacy this yr is an all time low of 85 when back then it used to be high as 97
have you talked to pharmacists about the current situation or students above your yr??
industrial sector or working as a hospital pharmacist is the best way to go imo but you will need to work hard and get the grades for it

jet

Banned
HSC
You can't just look at an ATAR drop and assume it's because of lack of demand. If anything an ATAR really indicates the demand versus the number of places available in the course.

In 2012 the Federal restrictions on the numbers of CSP places were removed from degree courses, which means the Faculty of Pharmacy can offer a place to as many students as they have the means to teach. It's more likely that they have been accepting lower ATARs to increase the number of course enrolments as opposed to lowering the cutoff because they had no demand for the places which already exists. Pharmacy is a moderately popular course to choose for many people.

saaamui

HSC
I'm confused with the STAT test. There seems to be 3 sections of the STAT exam (multiple choice, written english and another STAT F or something) .. which one is required for Pharmacy?

jet

Banned
HSC
I don't think you need it anymore - it's not listed on the admission requirements.

saaamui

HSC
^ That's what i think too.

So i went on the USYD site and from reading all the information given, it seems like the STAT test isn't required to get into Pharmacy unless the person is from a rural area. Someone confirm please? I'm quite worried because I heard that the STAT test is in May (next month) and i don't know anything about it at the moment.

http://sydney.edu.au/pharmacy/future_students/cw_degrees/reg_degree/entry.shtml
http://sydney.edu.au/pharmacy/future_students/cw_degrees/reg_degree/rural.shtml

jet

Banned
HSC
The only way you will get a definitive answer is by emailing the Pharmacy Faculty directly.

bread09

HSC
N/A

Yes, pharmacist has the fastest rate to get a job! Some even end up in centralink, no kidding, read it yourself.
http://www.pharmacynews.com.au/news/latest-news/pharmacists-head-to-centrelink

Mr cssftw, how brainwashed r u with pharmacy profession? Rural $120K/yr?? The best rate in rural is $35 (considered rare), work full time, full year only came about 60-65K/ yr. Have you got your fact right? Rather than relying on some unfounded googled statistic to support your claim? Simple, go to a pharmacy and ask how many job applicant they get this month.

pimeel

HSC
N/A
Currently and in future pharmacy will be the worst profession to be. After studying hard and then passing the tedious board exam the students have no job. Reason; there are currently approx 20 schools providing degree with 1800 students passing each year. Currently 3000 students jobless and many more not able to find full time work. Study hard build up hecs and in return you don't get any thing. Type " pharmacist wages in Australia in Google and see yourself also type " open letter from pharmacy guild and psa ". Future also looks gloom because it is heavily depended on government funding and is going to decrease day by day because economic. So save yourself by not getting a dead degree.

monopoly73

HSC
sorry if im bothering you and i know it is a really late reply but i saw this thread about pharmacy and i want to know if you got a job in that career path.
i really want to do pharmacy as well but ive been hearing bad things about it and how its saturated and the pay is bad ect

would you still recommend pharmacy or a different career path,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)