A Few Questions About ADFA (1 Viewer)

Bigs08

HSC
Hey all, I'll apologise in advance for what I'm sure are extremely common questions however the sheer amount of information out there is a little daunting so I figured I'd post my questions here and see if some more informed minds can help me out.

With the HSC having just ended and thoughts flowing round about Uni and the costs associated I've been giving some thought to ADFA and their Bachelor Of Arts program. The first thing that comes to mind is alternate entry. The requirements for entry are an ATAR of 70 - which I didn't achieve (a combination of school marks which brought me down and subjects that scaled terribly), I only recieved 65 - I'm wondering how I would go about still achieving entry (if at all possible?).

Another thing I'm curious about is the commitment period following study. As I understand you attend your regular classes which would be interspersed with a variety of military related subjects and at the end of your course you graduate with a degree which the armed forces have paid for (whilst paying you to complete it). I've heard estimates such as "degree + 1", but they're just rumours so can anyone tell me: how long is the required commitment following the commencement of a course?

Finally, I haven't the faintest idea how to apply and what I would have to do to get in. Is it as simple as applying for a regular uni or do I have to complete officer training at Kapooka along with a psych exam or something similar/additional?

Any answers/thoughts are much appreciated!

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Not sure about whether you can still get in (i believe interviews were held quite a while ago), but the commitment period is definitely your degree + 1 year :)

Epic

HSC
You have to apply to the ADF first, and pass all their tests (physical, medical, psych, etc). You just apply as if you would apply for a normal defence job, through their website.

You then would have to apply for ADFA via UAC, like a normal university course. However your application would only be accepted provided that you pass the military screening (and you have the correct UAI obviously).

For the first 6 weeks you do something similar to basic training, but it's not as difficult, it's just to get you used to military life. Then after that you start your degree, you do military stuff whilst doing your degree but the officer training doesn't start until you've completed your degree.

Study and officer training take place at ADFA and RMC in Canberra. You won't go to Kapooka.

Not sure about how long you have to serve afterwards but I think it might be a bit more than that.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)