• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

A question on Journals (1 Viewer)

picaresque

HSC
What would be ideal as a journal? An exercise book, a folder, a scrapbook?

I was thinking of using a large sketch book like my Visual Arts diary, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate for Extn 2 eng. And I'm one of those terribly anal people that become fixated on small details.

Any suggestions?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I used a scrapbook and just stuck everything that was even remotely related in there.

Lolliana

i too am one of those incredibly anal people

i had two journals, smae type, only i only finished 1 and a half

inside my journals were
my entries, musings about my work, assesments, others thoughts about my work, angry out bursts about my work....

on top of that i had two af folders absolutely filled. they were the same colour as my journals (did i mention i was anal?) one was all my drafts (i did a script, and in this folder i put every copy of my script, to show how it evolved, this was invaluable, becuase i went back to early drafts to find things, id deleted on my computer, and to check and reference decisions id made when i first began writing) the second folder, held all my research, in chronological order,

for me being organised meant that
when i was writing my reflection statement, and searching for that fabulous quote from Rossetti that got my thinking...it took me mere seconds to find

whatever form u use, its important you
a) KEEP everything, i cant overstress this, you gotta keep everything you research, every piece of writing, you will want to look at it later on, you may decide to go back to something, and if you ahve it there in your journal, youre not going to have a tanty

b) be organised, date everything, and if you find a book you really like, write down where you got it from and write down the author and title, i forgot to do this for some of the poetry analysis i read, and when i was writing the reflection statement, i wanted to quote this person, and it took me f**king forever to find that god-damned book again

malayz_angel

I had an A4 book with unlined pages...I made a beautiful front cover..pasting words in a collage style that had to do with my story...and then inside its a jumble of unorganised scribbles and pages.

Leap

free falling
HSC
I was thinking of using a large sketch book like my Visual Arts diary, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate for Extn 2 eng.
Yeah you could use the sketch book - basically it doesn't really matter what type of book it is

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I had a smallish page type book and I regretted later not using one with A4 pages..... other than that, just pick what suits your style best!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I used an a4 vapd. A lot of people did, actually.

I didn't stick everything in until right at the end tho. I hate chunky books.

narrator

HSC
N/A
i had an actual journal with the dates an all which helped me see how often i was writing in it, i collected others pieces in another folder

malayz_angel

Originally posted by narrator
i had an actual journal with the dates an all which helped me see how often i was writing in it, i collected others pieces in another folder
I couldn't put dates on mine lol...it was bad enough fudging the actual entries! If I had to come up with imaginary dates to match those entries, I would have been lost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)