A question... (1 Viewer)

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
In the few days I've been browsing around here I've noticed that most people tend to do their project on a 'historical question' sort of thing, where they investigate an event or period that's debated in history circles. Now I'm doing something different - I'm going to do a critique of postmodernism as applied to history. Obviously this makes primary/secondary sources a bit weird, but I'm pretty sure I can pull it off.

My question is, is the question allowed under the syllabus? I thought I was safe with 'a historical debate or controversy' but now I think I'd need 'a historiographical debate or controversy' for that to work. I could probably fit it in under 'the use and misuse of history in either a specific context or over time.'

Any thoughts?

X

xeuyrawp

Few things to note:

1. If the markers don't like your work, the syllabus doesn't matter. Whilst they do mark within the syllabus, don't be naive and think that your work is marked in a vacuum. I'd check with your teacher. :)

2. Your question fits perfectly within the two dot points 'use and misuse' and 'historical debates and controversy'. You would also preferably also tap into the 'history and media' dot-point.

3. Don't do postmodernism just because it's the new catch-word. I've really only started to begin postmodernism after doing it in 3U English (before changing classes), addressing it in 4U English, doing a philosophy unit at uni, and doing two historiographical units at uni.

Seriously, it's a difficult area that spans so many disciplines (history, english/drama/literature, philosophy, psychology, sociology, cultural theory, anthropology, education, religion, etc etc).

The fact that it's so hazy does not make it 'cool'; it's simply a catch-word that will die out when people are over it. Simply put, it's a trend. I don't think there are any areas of history and historical theory that are best called 'postmodern' -- there's always a better name for them.

That being said, if you'd like to go for the subjet, I'm willing to help you. I have a tonne of literature on the area, as well. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)