• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

a quick question (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
okay, so basically i'm using buffy, the vampire slayer as the basis for my critical response, right? and i've decided to avoid the angel series, as i don't know it as well, i don't have as much access to it, and it would complicate things unecessarily.

anyhow, right now i'm looking at individual characters (which i will tie in later). one of the characters i want to use, goes on a BIG moral journey - however, a pivotal point of this (where she turns herself in to the police and goes to jail to atone) happens on angel. it's just the one episode, and it's sort of a two parter which stretches across the two series.

so, do you think i can use it, despite the fact that it's *technically* outside the paradigms in which i've decided to work?

Serpentia

Lol maybe you can hope that the markers haven't seen either of the series lol :)

Well post modernism says that everything has been done before............. and if that is the case, then nobody should write anything cos its not original!

I think it would be fine

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
examing each moral journey the character in question goes on (i've narrowed it down to 4, any more and i won't be able to write enough) and tying it back to the ideas of gender based morality found in feminist ethics.

kind of. :p

mayhemily

HSC
well... part of the moral journey of the character may extend beyond the boundaries of buffy, but if the journey is still reflected within buffy then it would be ok?? I mean otherwise you could say "no one on any tv show ever goes to the toilet" hmm.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I think you'd have to explain it, if it's relevant to your analysis. If it doesn't happen on the show itself you'd have to say why.. just in case the marker is a BTVS fan :)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
but in a footnote, perhaps, rather than in the context of your argument.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Okay, your looking at Buffy, and in one episode buffy goes into the angel series, mention that she does that! you dont HAVE to look at the angel series if you only just mention it.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I think you can include it for sure. Do what anti says - include it in a footnote. You're only mentioning an episode, not introducing an entirely new series.

I love the Angel series! :p I was a major Buffy fan, but have moved on since then. lol What characters are you doing?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
thanks for your help everyone, i think i will use the footnote idea (but i will ask my teacher to make sure)

grkstyle - so far, i'm *probably* using buffy, faith, spike and willow. i was going to make it the core scooby group - ie, buffy, giles, xander and willow, but i don't know if it'd be as interesting. there are others i'd like to use, ie, angel and cordelia, but like i said, i think it'll complicate things too much if i *really* extend it beyond the buffy boundaries, especially since i have 6000 words to do it in.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Yeh you're right about it complicating things. I love cordy, angel, and Xander. I think all three have gone on extremely large moral journeys. But then again, the whole series has people go on moral journeys. That's a tough decision to make!

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
in a sense xander has the most binary moral code - ie, he always hated angel (although mostly that had to do with jealousy cause he was buffy whipped :p) and spike, despite the good things both vampires ultimately did. i have all these (probably very boring) notes on all the gender based moral orientation in season two's angel trauma - ie, buffy and willow are of the care perspective with a bit of justice thrown in, and tf have the 'feminine' moral code, whereas xander and cordelia are basically pure justice perspective which is seen as a more 'masculine' quality... and giles is sort of in the middle, and has the most reason to hate angel, but sort of holds it in for the sake of buffy, which gives him a 'care' perspective and makes him sexually ambiguous...like he sort of was back then : )

sorry, i get all excited about that, because i totally thought of all that and wrote it all down and then read an article in a book which said exactly that and was like, eee! i had an intellectual thought! : )

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Hey glycerine, you go to Fort Street ey?

I remember in the newspaper around october when the guy who fixes things at ur school put the wrong sign up, something about it saying HSE exams commence, rather than HSC

lol what a crack up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)