AC Motors (1 Viewer)

sasquatch

HSC
What do we actually need to know about AC motors. I have books with tonnes of different AC motors... and it seems like too much to need to know.

Theres stuff about: "AC motors", single phase induction motors, three phase induction motors, universal motors, squirell cage induction motor, resistane start motors, the shaded pole induction motor and repulsion induction AC motor.

TOO MUCH :(

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Three words of advice: "refer to syllabus" ;)

Last edited:

sasquatch

HSC
that doesnt really help. The syllabus says "describe the main features of an AC electric motor", but what TYPE of electric motor... theres too many of them. And why do all these books have all this crap.... its annoying...

helper

HSC
N/A
In reply to the queries raised in your email 2 November 2004 about the
physic syllabus clarifications..

1. Relating to the types of motors to be described.
9.3.5 The dot point in column 2 'describe the main features of an AC
electric motor' is linked to the investigation in dot point 1 in column 3
which states the motor is an AC induction motor.

sasquatch

HSC
Oh ok. Makes sense i guess. Jacaranda only focuses on the induction motor. Thanks.

But um i have no idea what your talking about some email i sent 2 years ago?? :|

helper

HSC
N/A
This was a response I received from the Board of Studies two years ago, while I have stripped off identifying information, I prefer using the BOS own words rather than paraphasing.

It also gives me an opt out and appeals method if they do something else in the exam. :)
I don't trust them. They commonly say one thing and do another, so I like to keep correspondence.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Necrobump.

Can someone confirm this?

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Just study the induction (asynchronous) motor and the "simple AC motor".
Although those are the words I want to see, I still want to have some sort of evidence or proof that BoS isn't going to be troll and ask about another AC motor.
Creepin' on all the old stuff.

But you should know Induction Motors, Synchronous motors and universal motors.
OoOoOooOo there seems to be some conflicting perspectives on this.
Nah not really creeping, used the search button lol.

QZP

HSC
Although those are the words I want to see, I still want to have some sort of evidence or proof that BoS isn't going to be troll and ask about another AC motor.

OoOoOooOo there seems to be some conflicting perspectives on this.
Nah not really creeping, used the search button lol.
Yeah I know what you mean. I have no proof, but I learnt all three: universal, induction, synchronous motor and have only encountered universal in an exam paper (and I've done many).

Also, there is very limited information out there on synchronous (and to a lesser extent universal) whereas induction is very... prominent, suggesting that the HSC would only ask about induction.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Creepin' on all the old stuff.

But you should know Induction Motors, Synchronous motors and universal motors.
Yeah I know what you mean. I have no proof, but I learnt all three: universal, induction, synchronous motor and have only encountered universal in an exam paper (and I've done many).

Also, there is very limited information out there on synchronous (and to a lesser extent universal) whereas induction is very... prominent, suggesting that the HSC would only ask about induction.
Interesing.....I think I might send an email asking BoS just like one of the guy did above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)