• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Aca???? (1 Viewer)

Mishelli

HSC
Has anyone here heard of ACA (Actors center Australia)?
Bacuase I'm going to aply for next year, anyone got any words about it, advice, warnings? lol
Michelle

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
Hey the ACA is not a place like NIDA it is kind of a 1 year course thingy ... Kinda hard to explain. It is based in Surry Hills on Devonshire street so it is right near central station. You can do an actor's skills program it's 12 short courses that run throughout the year ..... If your interested in it go for it but i'm not sure if you will get a job from it or any type of recognition it is more so for enjoyment and confidence in acting.... If you are any good go for NIDA or even try and apply for NYU it has one of the most proclaimed acting diplomas' in the world

Mishelli

HSC
ohh.........I've looked into some of there courses (ACA) and they have a full time course now, 2 and a half years, it sound pretty good and some well known actors have gone through the course, they reckon they have 100% agency placement at the end of the course.
I also looked at NIDA courses and they are almost the same except for the extra half a year.
I'm too scared to go for NIDA because I have NO acting experience other than school and I don't think they'd take me because of that. What do you'z think?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Mishelli said:
ohh.........I've looked into some of there courses (ACA) and they have a full time course now, 2 and a half years, it sound pretty good and some well known actors have gone through the course, they reckon they have 100% agency placement at the end of the course.
I also looked at NIDA courses and they are almost the same except for the extra half a year.
I'm too scared to go for NIDA because I have NO acting experience other than school and I don't think they'd take me because of that. What do you'z think?
you dont have to have experience to go to NIDA, they just want you to be talented and relatively mature (as in over 18). dont be afraid to try it out. :p

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Mishelli said:
why's that?
Because usually people (not all though) audition for NIDA because it's...NIDA. Then they don't get in so they go for the next place that has an 'impressive name.' I don't understand the mentality that kids have. "If it's not NIDA or ACA...it's just not good". I mean, it's bullshit. VCA and WAAPA provide much more liberal courses that support individual expression rather than the systematic moulding of "the actor"...something NIDA is known for. But, I can't bag it out I guess...cause I am trying out for Tech Production there!!

Honestly, I've seen one of ACA's performances (I don't live in Sydney, like 500km away that's why I've only seen one) and it was a self-indulgent wank. I'd audition for NIDA if I was still on my performance band-wagon (I've converted to Tech Production) but I wouldn't audition for ACA.
The next place in Australia that has a good history, the resources, the national and even international recognition and good alumni not to mention the added bonus of being the home of several different artforms so as an artist you become more appreciative of other mediums...Is VCA. Victorian College of the Arts. It's a institution actually affiliated with a University of good standing (The University of Melbourne - can't remember if NIDA is still affiliated with UNSW, it was a while ago). Or even WAAPA. It's affiliated with Edith Cowen Uni (I think it's edith cowen).

So there you go. ACA is kinda like a private institution...you know, where kids might go if for instance they didn't get a high enough UAI...the easy option.

You'll want better training with someone who actually is respected rather than doing a degree with someone who second-rate. Then again, if you did go there (ACA), you'd think that you were getting the best education that you could possibly receive. But that's just cause you haven't tried others.

Mishelli said:
reckon they have 100% agency placement at the end of the course.
Unfortunately, that can mean Jack shit in the actor's world. It doesn't matter if you do get agent placement...cause they can be on your books, you'd get the odd audition but it doesn't mean you get a part just because you have an agent.
If you're good, and I say this with regret, good-looking (SOMETIMES!), you'll get the work, if you're shit...then you won't. Simple.

Last edited:

Mishelli

HSC
So there you go. ACA is kinda like a private institution...you know, where kids might go if for instance they didn't get a high enough UAI...the easy option.

lol

Unfortunately, that can mean Jack shit in the actor's world. It doesn't matter if you do get agent placement...cause they can be on your books, you'd get the odd audition but it doesn't mean you get a part just because you have an agent.
If you're good, and I say this with regret, good-looking (SOMETIMES!), you'll get the work, if you're shit...then you won't. Simple.[/QUOTE]

Harsh but true!!!!!

I have been tinking of trying for NIDA and i think I will, I would go for the victori one but Its far away, although I'm thinking about it, mayby I'll apply for all of them! lol
I don't know, I just want to go somewhere that will help me jump start my carrer and as I am deeply lacking in training somwhere that will show me the ropes etc etc etc........ hmmmmm somthing to think about

smithica

HSC
anyone willing to move to perth?....... WAPA is a great place to try and get into, over the last few years NIDA has become over rated and WAPA although more theatrical is gaining a huge name for itself

Mishelli

HSC
Hey, I've looked around and other than uni there is ACA (Actors Center Australia) www.actorscentre.com.au
NIDA - www.nida.com.au
Or in Victoria (Melbourne) theres VCA -http://www.vca.unimelb.edu.au/drama/admission.html

I'm going to audition for all three of these (I figure I'll c where I get in), but if you know about any others let me know!!!

cayte

Make sure you have a contingency plan for the turn of events where you don't get in anywhere. NIDA accepts ~1% of their applicants, VCA has a similalry stringent audition process. Have a decent job lined up, plan for travel or alternative study to keep you busy in the years you may be waiting to get into a school. Otherwise you'll find yourself in your early twenties without any skills, money, education or "life experience".

"The Journey" is another fledgling course run by an ex-director of NIDA. WAAPA like a few have mentioned. Charles Sturt apparently used to be good, if you like the idea of Bathurst.

Oh and btw Skillo, your beloved VCA is running into financial and administrative problems should you care to do your research.

Mishelli

HSC
yes cayte I'm very aware of the fact that I might not get in at any of the places I audition for and am very aware of the fact that places like NIDA and VCA don't take many people, but when people choose to take up a carrer in acting they know about the dificulties that they will face, it comes with the trade.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
cayte said:
Oh and btw Skillo, your beloved VCA is running into financial and administrative problems should you care to do your research.
Holy Moses. Can you try and be not so bloody rude?

My beloved VCA is running into financial difficulties and the production department is grossly underfunded. However the administrative problems are not anywhere near as troubled as let's say...the MQStudent Union and their debarkles.

How bout you do some research? The production department at VCA runs one of the extensive undergraduate programs for Technical Theatre in Australia. They are the only MAJOR school that teaches both Design and Technical Production in the one degree (NIDA is two degrees) and is a Bachelor...not an Advanced Diploma like WAAPA. Although they don't have squillions of cash tucked away and the lighting lecture room is a practically a shed at VCA and they have only one theatre Space 28 (used by MTC), at least it prepares you for the industry.

Jeremy Sims himself, graduate of NIDA, supports my interest and support for institutions that don't have state of the art facilites like NIDA and even WAAPA. He says that the industry is like a "bed and breakfast/housesit", little money, small independent groups striving for something bigger, and graduates of NIDA are coming out of a "five star hotel" so there is little industry preparation.

The administrative problems that VCA are going through does affect student morale, however not to the extent that you think. Before you go and discriminate against an institution that I want to go to, I think you should change your tone and not be so presumptuous.

Also, why treat me and Mishelli like idiots...we're not. I've been researching these schools for years, and I don't mean going on their websites, I mean talking to people in the industry...not the general public's opinion. Mishelli was asking politely and you shot her down with a rude and overtly proud opinion.

Oh and do your research, Charles Sturts Acting and Tech Production courses are mainly conducted in Wagga Wagga, not Bathurst.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Maybe it's just me, but i think that NIDA isn't all its cracked up to be.

I have always dreamed of a career int he arts, but whenever anyone asks me if i am going to try out for NIDA at the end of the year, i always say no. I would love nothing better to study drama after school, but NIDA just seems so...artificial. I am probably treading on peoples toes, but i went there for an open day and all that Method stuff would really drive me crazy...

They basically tell their students that they don't have any talent, but potential, and that they will break down any previous teachings and experiences to form a brand new "actor"...doesn't it sound like some sort of cult?

I would so much rather go to VCA, where they treat students like individuals, and encourage talent, rather than an 'actor factory' like NIDA.

And, for anyone who doubts my research, i have two close friends who are at NIDA, and a cousin who finished last year. Both of them seem like the spirit has been crushed out of them...

But maybe im just being dramatic!

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
cayte said:
"The Journey" is another fledgling course run by an ex-director of NIDA. WAAPA like a few have mentioned. Charles Sturt apparently used to be good, if you like the idea of Bathurst.

Talking about doing your research......the acting course at Charles Sturt is in fact located in WAGGA WAGGA, not Bathurst.

Though i would pefer it in Bathurst than Wagga Wagga...its too far away from the Blue Mountains!

niteshade1312

HSC
AlleyCat said:
Maybe it's just me, but i think that NIDA isn't all its cracked up to be.

I have always dreamed of a career int he arts, but whenever anyone asks me if i am going to try out for NIDA at the end of the year, i always say no. I would love nothing better to study drama after school, but NIDA just seems so...artificial. I am probably treading on peoples toes, but i went there for an open day and all that Method stuff would really drive me crazy...

They basically tell their students that they don't have any talent, but potential, and that they will break down any previous teachings and experiences to form a brand new "actor"...doesn't it sound like some sort of cult?

I would so much rather go to VCA, where they treat students like individuals, and encourage talent, rather than an 'actor factory' like NIDA.

And, for anyone who doubts my research, i have two close friends who are at NIDA, and a cousin who finished last year. Both of them seem like the spirit has been crushed out of them...

But maybe im just being dramatic!
Actually I've heard of that too. I would also love to study drama and the theatre after school, but definately not at NIDA. I thoroughly agree with what you have said!

Mishelli

HSC
wow battle of the dramatic arts!......I think it completey depends on who's point of veiw you're coming from. I'd be happy to get into any of them really, I meen everyone has to start somewhere....and then even if you do get in once you get out you not guarenteed a spot in the industry.....

cayte

Skillo said:
Holy Moses. Can you try and be not so bloody rude?

My beloved VCA is running into financial difficulties and the production department is grossly underfunded. However the administrative problems are not anywhere near as troubled as let's say...the MQStudent Union and their debarkles.

How bout you do some research? The production department at VCA runs one of the extensive undergraduate programs for Technical Theatre in Australia. They are the only MAJOR school that teaches both Design and Technical Production in the one degree (NIDA is two degrees) and is a Bachelor...not an Advanced Diploma like WAAPA. Although they don't have squillions of cash tucked away and the lighting lecture room is a practically a shed at VCA and they have only one theatre Space 28 (used by MTC), at least it prepares you for the industry.

Jeremy Sims himself, graduate of NIDA, supports my interest and support for institutions that don't have state of the art facilites like NIDA and even WAAPA. He says that the industry is like a "bed and breakfast/housesit", little money, small independent groups striving for something bigger, and graduates of NIDA are coming out of a "five star hotel" so there is little industry preparation.

The administrative problems that VCA are going through does affect student morale, however not to the extent that you think. Before you go and discriminate against an institution that I want to go to, I think you should change your tone and not be so presumptuous.

Also, why treat me and Mishelli like idiots...we're not. I've been researching these schools for years, and I don't mean going on their websites, I mean talking to people in the industry...not the general public's opinion. Mishelli was asking politely and you shot her down with a rude and overtly proud opinion.

Oh and do your research, Charles Sturts Acting and Tech Production courses are mainly conducted in Wagga Wagga, not Bathurst.
Wow, chill. I wasn't bagging VCA, I was pointing out that (sadly) it's recently been experiencing issues that will inevitably affect its ability to provide a quality education. Compare this to your vitriolically impassioned tirade against all schools but...

My message to Mishelli was prompted by seeing far too many very talented very intelligent people squander their young lives by clinging to a pipe dream of attending THE school or getting THE job without considering their options.

And yes, you were all paying attention. The CSU Bachelor of Dramatic Arts is conducted on the Wagga campus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)