ACST101 - Last Minute Help (1 Viewer)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
in light of exam week madness, how to study for elements?

for oldies, what were the 3 techniques questions on?

ReaveR

HSC
Hm, last sem I think I had a bonds question with tax, and I think there was a loans one... memory's not that good, but they aren't that much harder than any of your tutes. Do as much as you can for techniques, elements yeah cram day before lol

ReaveR

HSC
Study elements too, they're tricky as fuck.
Techniques is pretty straightfoward if you did all of your tutes and assignments/quiz.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Apparantley, to get yourself away from a Credit, into D's, u must do really well in the elements section - where most ppl do the worst overall, since the marks for tech's are high..

btw :p change title to last minute help :p

*sigh* dont make me start an econ141 one :p

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
my tip is to eat lots of cocoa so u dun fall asleep during elements. and u do plan to fall asleep on ur notes, let go of ur pen b4 hand otherwise u wake up with pen marks all over the place

bigredboof

HSC
I agree with Reaver.

The elements questions are really tricky. Its those type of multiple choice where theres two answers that It could be, and if you study well, you'll only be able to tell the difference.

If you go through all tutes and class exams, shouls do good. The multiple choice questions do include simple Interest, changing interest rates, PV, IRR, promiisory notes, perpituity, interpolation calculations.

Yeah with the 3 technique qns were Annuity, , A housing Loan and there was a bond question. And pretty much everything got inculded, I.e tax, sinking fund etc for bonds.
Its pretty much all the same type of questions with previous exam papers that he hands out. There really aren't any surprises

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=- said:
my tip is to eat lots of cocoa so u dun fall asleep during elements. and u do plan to fall asleep on ur notes, let go of ur pen b4 hand otherwise u wake up with pen marks all over the place
lol, why cocoa

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Elements - Practice the questions they give you, and the class tests and anything else you can get.

Techniques - Should be very similar to every other final exam.

*hopeful*

HSC
yeh do all practice qstns n stuff
for elements theres like 7/8 mc on the net, just do them

even i did well in acst101 and i wuz so dumb in the beggining, i used to post qstns for malachite 2 answer 4 me :p :p

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
can some smart acst'er properly explain sinking funds to me.... :>
I get the theory, just, there is no new method ...its just like an annuity yeah ???

thanks

ReaveR

HSC
Is that when you just put deposits in and they'll accumulate to some value at the end?

Then its just like an ordinary annuity. You have a value at the end which you want to withdraw, they'll usually give you interest and you use the S function to move the payments of X foward to the end...I think?

Or I may be thinking about something else entirely...

bigredboof

HSC
yes it uses annuities.

A good way to check your answer is if you sub in the time values when you will be reapyig the loan and make sure there is wnough in the sinking fund.

I.e if you set up a sinking fund to accumulate $60,000 after 12 years, then make sure thant your answer wil give be $60,000 + x cents (due to rounding)

Also just make sure that if th eqn asks you to calculate the half yearly expense that you add the sinking fund + interest cost

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
bigredboof said:
yes it uses annuities.

A good way to check your answer is if you sub in the time values when you will be reapyig the loan and make sure there is wnough in the sinking fund.

I.e if you set up a sinking fund to accumulate $60,000 after 12 years, then make sure thant your answer wil give be $60,000 + x cents (due to rounding)

Also just make sure that if th eqn asks you to calculate the half yearly expense that you add the sinking fund + interest cost
Thanks, so your basically JUST calcualting R ?
=D

ReaveR

HSC
Yeah, although I think sometimes they have a random withdrawl in the middle or something like that to try and throw you off. I'll try and find my old tute papers to look for you.

bigredboof

HSC
even if you withdraw funds during the length of time, you can still do a check at that time period.

i,e if you set up a sinking fund so you can withdraw $2000 after 3 years, $8000 after 6 years and $100000 after 10 years, when you sub in the time up to three years your on the right track if there is over $2000 accumulated. Same for up to 6 years, then 10 years.

Sorry I odnt remember what R means, but you usually need to find how much your depositing into the sinking fund, OR the time period measured expensse (i.e sinking find + interest)

^___^
HSC
i heard the pass exam focuses a bit on tax on bonds and stuff like that

not sure if its right, but i'll do as many practice paper as i can

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)