Acst200 (1 Viewer)

explorer

what do we actually learn in ACST200? Can someone just post the unit outline or lecture notes here? thx very much.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
its like an extention of acst101 except much more complicated. u start off with annuities in w1. Then u deal with different different combos of discrete/continuous rates of interest and compound frequencies etc. Move onto options, hedging.
This isn't a subject u can neglect and cram

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
The unit develops the techniques required to deal with compound interest problems more complex than those discussed in ACST101. Topics include the force of interest and its relation with the annual rate of compound interest; loans repayable by instalments of principal and interest; the effect of income and capital gains taxes; the use of discounted cash flow techniques in project appraisal; simple stochastic interest rate models; unit-pricing systems; yield curves, matching and immunisation; forward rate agreements; options; replicating portfolios and hedge portfolios. It is assumed that students are able to use spreadsheets.

The unit is taken by Farmer (unless he goes on leave) which means the lectures are from a booklet like ACST211. And like all things Farmer teaches, the exam is hard.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Does acst students do ACST201 ?
Mite do it for elective...

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
ACST201 is a challenging subject, but John Shepherd does a great job in teaching it. If you understood ACST101 well, then ACST201 should not be a problem. I quite enjoyed this subject, it was fun.

feng

you can cram..its just you have to be able to cram lots...

i didnt do a single tute apart from week 1 & 2 until the last 2 days before the exam..and i did ok...

flamin'

feng said:
you can cram..its just you have to be able to cram lots...

i didnt do a single tute apart from week 1 & 2 until the last 2 days before the exam..and i did ok...
I did all the tutes and most the exams and I did even better =P

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
You realise, he prolly won't read that reply. =p

feng

flamin' said:
I did all the tutes and most the exams and I did even better =P

cos you're a study freak..

my work to result ratio has to be one of the best in the uni =D

flamin'

You call me a study freak because I do well. I'm not pretending to be a bludge like a certain flyin' says he does =P. I just do the required work consistently and cram like a bitch towards the end like everyone else. You and I both know people who study much much more.

Anyways, I don't think anyone has the unit outline - they would have posted it up already. But this is a hard subject - it covers ACST201 but with all the derivations and extra stuff. If you have done ACCG253, some of the stuff from there appears in ACST200 as well like futures and arbitrage.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i use to bludge - i stopped bludging about a month before last semester's exams.

working consistently for you means doing everything twice before the end of semester. i barely do anything once.

unless you are doing actuarial studies as a degree, or are good at maths/hard working or want a lower gpa, don't think of doing acst200

flamin'

flyin' said:
working consistently for you means doing everything twice before the end of semester. i barely do anything once.
Well it is a good idea to do tutorials once and then look through them again... Some courses they just rip out some q's for exams from their tutes (not with ACST though).

I don't regret a thing so I don't care. I'm doing well so it works out for me =P

PS: Guess you had a lot of free time to fish out that outline =P

explorer

flamin' said:
Well it is a good idea to do tutorials once and then look through them again... Some courses they just rip out some q's for exams from their tutes (not with ACST though).

I don't regret a thing so I don't care. I'm doing well so it works out for me =P

PS: Guess you had a lot of free time to fish out that outline =P

Just want to have an idea what acst200 is about. btw, if someone can provide the letures, that will be very great.

PS: thanks for your unit outline, flyin'

flamin'

Unless someone wants to scan the book in then noone will have the lectures for you sorry =P

The best advice is... if you are an Actuarial then you have to do it so don't complain heh... if you aren't an Actuarial then don't bother... if you are interested and like this sort of stuff and you don't do Actuarial then switch to Actuarial then do 200...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)