• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Acst300 (1 Viewer)

Kutay

University
HSC
Hey guys i am deciding whether to do acst300? i have done acst101 and 201 and found 201 to be more enjoyable! How is acst300 eg difficulty level etc?

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
Well you'll be doing it with all the 3rd year actuaries so that'll make it hard to get a good grade. Going from others who have posted on here its basically an extension of the elements section of acst101, i.e. there is no maths involved.

The only reason i'd do it would be if I was greatly interested in the topics.

hello2004

I had to do this subject since I do Actuarial. If you can avoid it, you shouldn't do it.

The course has four sections:

1. Health Insurance: No notes, you have to fill in slides. Listening to his iLectures made me yearn for the sweet release of death.

2. Superannuation: Good notes, this section is easy to study for if you read the notes (of which there are a lot).

3. Life Insurance: very good notes but this is negated because Jim Farmer set fukn hard questions and is an extremely strict marker.

4. General Insurance: Notes? What notes?. This section had absolutely no structure whatsoever and the guy's voice is just as boring as the dude who lectures health.

So basically: two topics have little to no structure, one topic is marked insanely hard leaving superannuation which still requires a shitload of reading.

On top of this you'll be in a room full of actuaries, some of whom will study so hard ensuring that you won't get a high distinction.

Again, don't do this subject unless you have to.

CloudStrife

HSC
In general, don't do actuarial subjects unless you have to or you're genuinely interested and up for the challenge. The actuary lecturers don't set easy exams. There's pretty much no such thing as walking out of an actuarial subject exam thinking it was easy.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
I hope you didn't end up choosing this course because this is the worst subject ever!

/vent of exam frustration

P

pLuvia

jake2.0 said:
I hope you didn't end up choosing this course because this is the worst subject ever!

/vent of exam frustration
Is Jim Farmer teaching this subject?

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
pLuvia said:
Is Jim Farmer teaching this subject?
Thankfully no, but we still have to use his notes for one of the parts of the subject (its divided into 4 parts). And his notes are way to detailed.

The current lecturers suck! They won't even tell us what proportion of the class is divided into true/false and short answer.

Hope you're enjoying acst200 :p

P

pLuvia

jake2.0 said:
Thankfully no, but we still have to use his notes for one of the parts of the subject (its divided into 4 parts). And his notes are way to detailed.

The current lecturers suck! They won't even tell us what proportion of the class is divided into true/false and short answer.

Hope you're enjoying acst200 :p
lol, Farmer expects too much from us actuarial students I think. Don't like him as a lecturer, even though he is quite knowledgable I think, but he's quite arrogant compared with the lecturers I've had so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)