• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Active and Passive transport in kidneys. Please help! (1 Viewer)

baby G

HSC
The information i undertand is that, water is absorbed back through osmosis along the length of the tubule (passive transport). And active transport transports or removes ions from blood.

But i dont see how the other things like glucose are absorbed? Is it just absorbed actively like the ions? ... IS it an ion? or are they absorbed dissolved in water through osmosis

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
baby G said:
The information i undertand is that, water is absorbed back through osmosis along the length of the tubule (passive transport). And active transport transports or removes ions from blood.

But i dont see how the other things like glucose are absorbed? Is it just absorbed actively like the ions? ... IS it an ion? or are they absorbed dissolved in water through osmosis
In the kidney, generally water diffuses back into the capillary via osmosis. Useful ions are actively transported or diffused back in to the blood (Na+). Ions that the body don't need (K+) are actively transported out to the tubule.

Nutrients such as glucose and amino acids are actively transported back to the bloodstream from the filtrate as well, like useful ions. Glucose (uncharged) is not an ion, it's a carbohydrate (C6H12O6)! Glucose is soluble in water.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)