[actuary] - (2 Viewers)

mtothem

HSC
N/A
My motive is to become an actuary and currently im choosing subjects for year 11.
For now, I've chosen these subjects.

OPTION 1

• Maths Extension 1 (3 units)
  • Maths Accelerated
  • English Advanced (2 units)
  • Studies of Religion 1 (HSC) (1 unit)
  • Physics (2 units)
  • Economics (2 units)
  • Ancient History (2 units)
    TOTAL= 12 units.

OR

OPTION 2
  • Maths Extension 1 (3 units)
  • Maths Accelerated
  • English Advanced (2 units)
  • Studies of Religion 1 (HSC) (1 unit)
  • Physics (2 units)
  • Economics (2 units)
  • Business Studies (2 units)
    TOTAL= 12 units.
I plan to do Mathematics Extension 2 for year 12 too.

However, i am not sure if i should proceed with
OPTION 1 or OPTION 2, as i have had counselling from various teachers at school and they have implied different perspectives on each subject. Some said, doing both ECONOMICS and BUSINESS STUDIES would be too much. So I have replaced BUSINESS STUDIES with ANCIENT HISTORY. However, I'm not too strong with my english, so i have chosen my subjects which all circulate around Mathematics, so im not really sure if i should choose Ancient History.

So please, I would like to hear some advice =]

I have two questions.
  1. Whats the minimum UAI requirement to study Bachelor of Commerce-Actuarial Studies in Macquaire?
  2. Not trying to be arrogant, but I've been in the top 3 for Mathematics for the past years but I've always got a credit for the WESTPAC Mathematics Competition so I was thinking would this affect my future studies in Actuarial Studies because I lack problem solving skills ?
And please, I'd like to hear some advice of what I can do personally to successfully become an Actuary starting from now, Year 10.

Thanks.

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
Go with business studies its easy and some areas in eco overlap with business or expand on topics in business.

i think the uai is 85+ my mate is doing com at mac and he didnt over 90.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
If you like your commerce do Business and Economics. From what I've heard the workload in Business isn't a lot. My advice would be to do Business.

ps The Maths competition wouldn't affect your abition to be an actuary.

Woot! 1000 posts.

jazzbaby

HSC
apparently ancient is alot of work..

heaps of ppl at my school do busienss and eco .. and some of them are in top 10 for both

id go for option 2

rolror88

HSC
N/A
Lyounamu would be a great person to ask for advice regarding the actuary bit.

mtothem

HSC
N/A
okay, i tried contacting him through the feature of private message but it seems his disabled allowing other members to contact him.

Business and Economics?
okay, ill think about that.

Anothe issue i stumbled across is, if i do accelerated maths and finish 2 units in year 12, does this mark count towards my uai if i complete mathematics 4 unit ?

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
mtothem said:
Anothe issue i stumbled across is, if i do accelerated maths and finish 2 units in year 12, does this mark count towards my uai if i complete mathematics 4 unit ?
Nope.

When you do 4 unit maths, your 3 unit mark counts for 2 units, and your 4 unit mark counts for 2 units, so even though you do 2 unit in year 11 it wont count. However, if you change your mind about doing 4 unit (as a lot of people do), youve already done 2 unit.

It is also good in terms of the work load, as you wont have to go to 2 unit classes in year 12 and can focus on your 3 and 4 unit.

Oh and for your subject choice, just do the one you think will be most interesting. Plenty of people do economics and business and I think the workload is okay. Dont worry about the westpac tests. Really, they are bullshit and are not an accurate reflection of your standards

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Oh an by the way the UAI for Bcommerce-actuarial studie was 95.00 in Macq last year.

BIGTYMA said:
i think the uai is 85+ my mate is doing com at mac and he didnt over 90.
The UAI for plain commerce was 82.55, but actuarial studies is much higher.

However, if you do not get 95 you could do commerce and then try to transfer to the actuarial studies course

Last edited:

karnage

HSC
Why would economics and business studies be too much?

They would complement each other nicely in my opinion.

Hence i vote option 2.

Would you be also looking at taking up Mathematics Ext 2 in yr 12?

mtothem

HSC
N/A
Yes, im taking Mathematics Ext 2 into consideration for year 12.

Well, do you think i should take as much accelerated courses as i possibly can, and can we request the school to offer us an accelerated course if they dont have it as a subject for next year?

and also, if i choose option 2, would it be much easier since, most subjects circulate around mathematics? Physics, Economics, Business Studies - Maths.

yeah 95 UAI, I'm aiming for 95+, but if i dont achieve this and take the plain commerce course (82.55), whats the probability that ill be granted into changing to Actuarial studies ?

rolror88

HSC
N/A
mtothem said:
Well, do you think i should take as much accelerated courses as i possibly can, and can we request the school to offer us an accelerated course if they dont have it as a subject for next year?

I'm a bit confused about this bit.. How can u ask the school to offer you a subject if they don't offer it at all?

Well. if you're in year 10 this year, and you want to do more then 1 accelerated course next year.. It would be pretty pointless as you'd be covering 2 years worth of content in 3 terms and then sit them for the HSC..

mtothem

HSC
N/A
rolror88 said:
I'm a bit confused about this bit.. How can u ask the school to offer you a subject if they don't offer it at all?

Well. if you're in year 10 this year, and you want to do more then 1 accelerated course next year.. It would be pretty pointless as you'd be covering 2 years worth of content in 3 terms and then sit them for the HSC..
I meant, can you request for them to provide us with an accelerated course.

Yeah, i guess so, ill just stick with maths accelerator.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
Do whichever you enjoy the most, since you are more likely to get a good mark in a subject you enjoy than in one you hate (imo).

Tips for being succesful? Probably research the profession and ask yourself if you're willing to put in the effort to become an actuary. Since the degree only gets you half way to becoming an actuary, you have to obtain other qualifications after graduating (and work full time at the same time).

Also look into the co-op progaram at UNSW since you'll get work experience and a degree at the same time.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
The cutoff (at macq) is like 95, but they say you shouldn't expect to get in if your UAI is less than 97.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
mtothem said:
whats the probability that ill be granted into changing to Actuarial studies ?
0.76 :p

Seriously though when transferring both your UAI and GPA (marks from uni) get counted (i'm pretty sure of this). I don't mean to put you down or anything but if you can't get the UAI to get into Actuarial then I'd suggest you look for another career path, as most of the people you are competing with at uni will have 99+ UAIs. I realise that UAI doesn't always reflect a persons intellect but more often than not it does.

P

pLuvia

Negative lots of people got in with UAI's below 97 and they are doing great in their studies

Yes, im taking Mathematics Ext 2 into consideration for year 12.

and also, if i choose option 2, would it be much easier since, most subjects circulate around mathematics? Physics, Economics, Business Studies - Maths.

yeah 95 UAI, I'm aiming for 95+, but if i dont achieve this and take the plain commerce course (82.55), whats the probability that ill be granted into changing to Actuarial studies ?
If you get into the normal commerce, you will have to obtain at least a Credit average GPA i.e. 3, plus a Credit in the highest first level maths subjects (MATH132 and MATH133) and also Credit in one of the stat courses

However in my opinion you would rather go to UNSW for actuarial studies, just because it's so much easy to transfer out plus they have the HSC plus scheme so you can probably get into commerce and instead of transferring just do the actuarial studies there as a major

Affinity

HSC
Do ancient history... and if you can do history extension. business studies and economics are useless if you plan to do commerce related things at university

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
mtothem said:
I meant, can you request for them to provide us with an accelerated course.

Yeah, i guess so, ill just stick with maths accelerator.
You can, but it is unlikely that the school will provide an accelerated course just because one student wants to.

Plus, im guessing you havent started accelerating yet which means that you will have to learn 2 years worth of work in 3 terms. Thats okay if you are willing to put in the work - I did that and got 96. But I wouldnt advise doing this for more that one subject.

The only way to really accelerate in more than one subject is if you learn prelim work in year 10, and HSC work in year 11.

bored of sc

HSC
mtothem said:

1. Whats the minimum UAI requirement to study Bachelor of Commerce-Actuarial Studies in Macquaire?
  2. Not trying to be arrogant, but I've been in the top 3 for Mathematics for the past years but I've always got a credit for the WESTPAC Mathematics Competition so I was thinking would this affect my future studies in Actuarial Studies because I lack problem solving skills ?
1. Search it in google. Off the top of my head it's 95+ I think.

2. Those maths competitions are not a good indication of what you will be like at your career since it doesn't give a fair enough indication of your work habits (consistency, amount of work done, effeciency etc). So don't let that get to you. May I remind you that credit is in the top half or better of those entered and the quality of students in the competition is also very high.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)