• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

adaptive radiation (1 Viewer)

emm225

HSC
hey,
was wondering if anyone could explain to me how adaptive radiation can lead to convergent evolution
thanks!

zingerburger

HSC
Adaptive radiation is just another term for divergent evolution, which is the opposite of convergent evolution.

It is possible if two or more species that have arised from divergent evolution, living in similar environments, could once again converge as they continue to evolve. I can't think of an example but your teacher might know of one.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
ditto zingerburger... cept the 2nd paragraph sounds abit ... =/

start with one species, have them living in two (or more) different environment, and you should observe the population will evolve differently , hence evolving into an array of organisms... hence the term radiation

zingerburger

HSC
Well, I suppose what I meant to say was that if either one of the environments of one of the species changed into something similar to the environment of the other species, or one of the species migrated to an environment similar to the other species' environment. Phew.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
zingerburger said:
It is possible if two or more species that have arised from divergent evolution, living in similar environments, could once again converge as they continue to evolve. I can't think of an example but your teacher might know of one.
zingerburger said:
Well, I suppose what I meant to say was that if either one of the environments of one of the species changed into something similar to the environment of the other species, or one of the species migrated to an environment similar to the other species' environment. Phew.
:confused:

zingerburger

HSC
Re-re-explanation:

If the two species had a distant relative, but diverged over time as a result of differing stresses that the environment places on them, then their adaptive features would evolve differently and separately to suit their environment.

But if the environment gradually changed (because of a changing environment over time or from migration) so that they placed similar stresses on the differing species, the species would slowly evolve to become much more similar in their adaptive features. Thus, they are converging once again into a common form.

I think I've got it that time.

emm225

HSC
thanks heaps for your help.
my textbook said that adaptive radiation led to divergent evolution and convergent evolution, but i could only see the link with divergent evolution.
but thanks for clearing it up!

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
adaptive radiation= the variety of species evident with regards to the ancestral line?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
errr sounds right... is that a question? or just a point needs verification?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)