Advanced English not optional for Year 11 and 12 (1 Viewer)

Metamorphosis97

HSC
So I do not know whether any other school has done this, but I'm in year 10 and choosing my subjects this month for next year. Our year has been notified by the Principal that only Standard English will be running for years 11 and 12. I'm quite surprised by this decision as more than 3/4 of our year (42 students, quite small I know) group chose advanced over standard. Apparently this decision was made due to a NAPLAN that was completed by my year group over a year and half ago. The school has said that the results weren't high enough for the school to run Advanced English, and that only a few were consider worthy enough for the wanted marks. I know this is the school's decision on what subjects they run however Advanced English has always run and they have 2-3 teachers that are qualified to teach it. I'm basically wondering if the school can do this and whether it is logical as it should always be the student's choice.

EddyBleh

HSC
Wow, that sucks!
I've always heard that the school can't really stop you from doing a subject you want (from both teachers and students) but even if that is true, the school always seems to have their way. For example, at my school, 3/4 of the school chose advanced over standard (we have 200~ in our grade) and in the end, only about 70 got into advanced and the rest in standard. A lot of people complained about this and went to see the faculty head teacher but they were pretty much reluctant in moving anyone up. At the end of year 11, the teachers were convincing some students to move down, and then around 20 students dropped down to standard.

In the end, even if the school isn't allowed to completely stop you, they will persuade you (to death) until you abide to their wishes. If you think English was bad, you should've seen what happened for Maths... LOL

Oh and regarding having no classes at all, this may be irrelevant but: I heard the grade under us had a Japanese class that had around 10 students who wanted it to be run but the principal didn't allow it despite all the complaints and students getting their parents to come in and see the principal. I heard some even cried. LOL I'm sure it would've worked if there were more than 10 people though, since that isn't enough to run a class in the first place.
If you really badly want it... Maybe you could try to get some people, including yourself, to get their parents to go see the principal about this issue? Tell your parents to strongly emphasize that the situation is unfair and that a lot of people in the grade wants to do Advanced. (Maybe you could result to crying...? As last resort. haha) If I remember correctly, a teacher I had used to tell me: The principal/teachers find it easy to say no to a student but significantly harder to say no to a student's parents. Tip: Go prepared, think of what to say if the principal says 'it's what's best for your child..' Etc and make sure your parents know what to say.

But, in the end, it doesn't kill you to be in Standard (I don't recommend it though cause it lowers your ATAR unless you do really well). Just try very hard if you don't get a go at Advanced and you can always make up for it through other subjects. If it makes you feel any better, there was someone who got 99.95 ATAR and she did ESL (not from a selective school). :D

Good luck and don't give up! :)

Last edited:

Siddy123

HSC
RIP your cohort's performance

gone, but never forgotten <3.

mac1996

HSC
RIP your cohort's performance

gone, but never forgotten <3.
stfu fagget, thats pretty offensive...
its not about what subjects u choose
its about how WELL u do in those subjects

Last edited:

Metamorphosis97

HSC
Yes but when the school only gives 7-8 ATAR subjects to choose from, then it makes me think about what their motives are. It's basically sending the message that if Advanced English is a requirement then they need to change schools. I've got better options than a second based school.

EddyBleh

HSC
^ Amen. LOL

Yes but when the school only gives 7-8 ATAR subjects to choose from, then it makes me think about what their motives are. It's basically sending the message that if Advanced English is a requirement then they need to change schools. I've got better options than a second based school.
Whoa... only 7-8.. But just like mac1996 said, you can still do well as long as you do well in your subjects and give it your all. I kind of think moving to a better school will be a smarter choice because your school teachers probably aren't all that great, looking at what you have said so far. (no offense)

Last edited:

nifkeh

HSC
echoing EddyBleh, for your own good and like if you want less restrictions on the subs you want to do I'd consider transferring to another school because if you stay there, you might feel unhappier and disadvantaged because they're not giving your cohort opportunities that people in other schools get

Siddy123

HSC
stfu fagget, thats pretty offensive...
when a WHOLE grade isn't doing advanced then I'd say there's something wrong.
No need to get butthurt about standard, u do standard and im sure you'll get a great atar, as you said, it's about your own performance.

u mad?

mac1996

HSC
when a WHOLE grade isn't doing advanced then I'd say there's something wrong.
No need to get butthurt about standard, u do standard and im sure you'll get a great atar, as you said, it's about your own performance.

u mad?
exactly its all about one's performance,
then why are u saying that theMetamorphosis97's whole grade will go shit, when you have no idea about how they will all perform
saying that "there's something wrong" with the whole grade being in standard, just doesn't mean everyone will go shit

Last edited:

Eduard_Khil

CASIO fx-82ES PLUS
HSC
N/A
looool i would suggest changing schools.
Seriously it will affect you in some way and I'd bet my 5 cents it'd be negatively. What they say is true, it's not what subject you do but how well you do in that subject, however peers will affect you, so the reliability of that statement is further diminished.
Advanced English is one of the most easiest and enjoyable courses you can take, I'm currently studying in year 12, but I had studied the entire course while in year 11(not officially, but summarised syllabus's read all the material did past papers etc).
I did the standard course when I was in year 10, out of interest, trust me most of the english modules in standard are boring IN comparison to advanced english. With the exception of Wilfred Owens poetry (but that's me on a biased view because I like modern history)
Sooooo gg atar? Have fun

Metamorphosis97

HSC
Well my year is split into two groups, the top class and the lower class. The lower class would more than likely choose standard anyway as most of them are already enrolled in TAFE courses, however it's very unfair for the top class to have no choice. We have a couple students who are extremely intelligent and are looking for degrees in Bachelor of Law, that would be difficult to achieve with only standard English and not Advanced. I was talking with the Careers Adviser and the Principal today and they even admitted to trying to make the school look better by getting higher marks in English because apparently universities do not care what subjects you took and only look at your ATAR.

EddyBleh

HSC
The lower class would more than likely choose standard anyway as most of them are already enrolled in TAFE courses, however it's very unfair for the top class to have no choice.
Um, if they aren't looking to receive an ATAR, they should just be doing English Studies... Unless I am misinformed, I think it's unnecessary for them to be doing Standard English if they are planning to continue studying/start TAFE after year 12.

We have a couple students who are extremely intelligent and are looking for degrees in Bachelor of Law, that would be difficult to achieve with only standard English and not Advanced.
Although it will be difficult, if they are truly 'extremely intelligent' they should be fine because they will probably end up with the highest ranks in their classes for internal, and external will really determine if they are up to the standards for a law degree. (If they have the highest ranks, the rest of the cohort wouldn't affect them, and once again, the subject shouldn't greatly affect their outcome as long as they are trying hard. Honestly, if they want to get a degree in law, they should be able to do well in Standard imo.)
If you: Get the highest rank for internal + Get the highest mark for external out of the cohort = You get your raw external mark for your overall HSC mark without the influence of your cohort. (If this is wrong, someone correct me because I'd like to know. lol)

Last edited:

yahyah123

HSC
m8 that's wack as. my school's advanced English classes average mark is always like lower than 50% and they have never not opted to cancel the advanced stream. Change schools lad.

ClassOf2013

HSC
Just a question, can you do English Extention 1 whilst doing Standard? If you can i'd suggest doing that, as your two best units of English count. If you do EE1 it will minimise the impact, and if you pick up EE2 it could completely remove Standard English from your ATAR. But if you can't do that (not sure if Advanced is a requirement for EE1), I would suggest changing schools. Not offering Advanced English is virtual suicide for a school's ranking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)