advanced units of study (2 Viewers)

garry007

HSC
N/A
i wanted to change my normal maths to advanced maths...can i do it online or do i have to visit usyd and receive special permission?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
It depends, I can enrol in adv maths units online but not adv chem units, even though according to the science faculty handbook I am entitled to both.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
i doubt they check any way... the pre req for adv units are really... well... abstract... every one sees them, but vituallly no one obeys them...

garry007

HSC
N/A
by the way, i didnt do 4U Maths at school and got 46/50 for 3U, so should i be doing all advanced maths units? Is there anyone else here who also only had a 3U background? If so, did you find it that difficult?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
The guy at enrolment didnt have any hesitation in putting me into all advanced units, i didnt do 4 unit and got 48/50 for 3 unit. Although i was a little weary he thought id be able to cope with it.

tennille

HSC
I didnt have the prerequisites to do adv maths but i changed it online just to see if it will be accepted, and i was. I dont think you need the deparments approval to do adv maths. I would do it, but I didnt do 4 unit maths and i only got 41/50 for 3u so I doubt ill cope. I tried adv chem but it didnt let me (you need the deparments approval).

DAAVE

HSC
does anyone know about advanced physics? can I automatically enrol online or do I have to get permission?

garry007

HSC
N/A
i think special permission is needed for something like chem and phys...i think

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
as regard to garry n acmilan's query:

adv maths and normal maths study fundamentally the same thing... their exams have awfully similar characteristics... so there's no pt not to do adv...

besides, 4u pplz will be advantaged abit in the first wk or so... from 2nd wk, it's new for every one...

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Im not too worried about being disadvantage, I mean i did do 4 unit for a while but dropped it for strategic reasons

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
rhapsody_bri said:
you could say that the other way around, too. if they have similar characteristics then theres no point to do adv.

this is my dillemma, if im only doing 6 cp maths in sem 1 to fulfill degree req's (and no maths after), then should i bother with adv??

whether you do adv or regular maths...depends entirely on the course you are enrolled in and what you want to do after undergraduate. for example for thsoe who wants to major in physics and wants to continue post graduate...adv maths units are essential. You might be able to pull off with regular level maths....but it will be taugher to learn physics when you don't know enough tricky trciks of adv level maths.....as goes for other courses.

tennille

HSC
Is adv maths similar to really normal maths? If it is similar, I might as well do adv. I'm scared I'm not going to cope though...there would be some 4U stuff in there, wouldnt there?

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
garry007 said:
i wanted to change my normal maths to advanced maths...can i do it online or do i have to visit usyd and receive special permission?

I don't think it is possible to change it online, u really should go the science faculty at Usyd in Carslaw and ask them.

And in regards to all the replies about whether to do adv maths or normal, if u are capable u should do adv, because of scaling. It really does make a huge difference, for example if u do normal maths it's rare for anyone to get a HD in it, and even if u get 100% in the paper your top mark will only be 85. Even if you aren't aiming this high, the normal students take out the bulk of the fails, passes, and credits, leaving adv students to take all the d's and Hd's.

3 unit maths is sufficient enough to do the adv course, providing u do actually do some work and not bluldge like so many ppl.

so esentially if your only aiming for passes/credits then go with normal but if u want d's/Hd's then do advanced.

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
Ultimate said:
if u do normal maths it's rare for anyone to get a HD in it, and even if u get 100% in the paper your top mark will only be 85. .
A mate of mine got 92 for her stats 1005 paper and i dropped down to normal 4 2nd yr math (had too much to worry about with other subjects) and got 90 in MATH 2002 (even though it doesn't exist anymore)

Last edited:

kow_dude

HSC
Ultimate said:
And in regards to all the replies about whether to do adv maths or normal, if u are capable u should do adv, because of scaling. It really does make a huge difference, for example if u do normal maths it's rare for anyone to get a HD in it, and even if u get 100% in the paper your top mark will only be 85. Even if you aren't aiming this high, the normal students take out the bulk of the fails, passes, and credits, leaving adv students to take all the d's and Hd's.
Can someone disprove this...

tennille

HSC
Ultimate said:
I don't think it is possible to change it online, u really should go the science faculty at Usyd in Carslaw and ask them.
It is possible to change it online. You don't need permission for adv maths.

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
Mejc said:
A mate of mine got 92 for her stats 1005 paper and i dropped down to normal 4 2nd yr math (had too much to worry about with other subjects) and got 90 in MATH 2002 (even though it doesn't exist anymore)
The MATH1005 lecturer is one of the kindest you could ever have. She's more than willing to beg the exam committee for HD's for her students. In normal level courses with large enrolements (e.g. MATH1005, MATH2002), you can still get HD's if you are really on top of your class. For the easy but less popular courses (enrolment < 50) however, you can't really get higher than 85.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
affirming tennile: u dont' need permission to change enrolment... but just get faculty's permission anyway... in first wk u are usually very free any way...

@ some one sayin "why bother doin adv": scaling makes it worth it (sorry really cbb go bak and search for ur screen name... apologies)

@ super pig: OMG!!! u dont' mean quinn do u?!?!?! cuz if u get him, it'd be a miracle if u didn't get ur self esteem /confidence to a record low....

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
xiao1985 said:
@ super pig: OMG!!! u dont' mean quinn do u?!?!?! cuz if u get him, it'd be a miracle if u didn't get ur self esteem /confidence to a record low....
Of course not that fellow!!! He's like half responsible for the national shortage of statisticians (no offence sir). I am talking about "her" - Mary, the normal level lecturer. She's really nice. I heard that she was asking for 6 HDs for her 2nd year normal class of less than 50 students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)