Advances in technology (1 Viewer)

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
Explain how an advance in technology has improved the quality or
quantity of the product.

Just wondering if i could use vaccination as an advance in technology, my product i'm using is fat lambs.....
if not what are some advances in technology i could use

thanks

Deadhead

HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure that's fine to use. Explain how it allows for a higher class of product as production is not stunted by disease etc. Also how the losses to the producer have been drastically decreased etc etc (thats a bit off topic). Maybe it wouldn't hurt to mention witholding periods if the question calls for you to discuss it or similar as a con with regards to this.
It probably would be easier to do something like tender stretching (I'm not sure if that is practiced for sheep) or the old favourite fall back- improved genetics through EBVs (estimated breeding values).
If you do chose EBVs talk about greater selection criteria for a superior carcass, lambs may be produced such that traits such as eye muscle area, fat depth, yield etc are maximised. This takes a lot of the "guess work" out of breeding as the producer is now able to breed for a certain type and knows how heritable traits are etc etc. This can also be tied into technologies such a ultrasound (to measure fat depth, EMA, IMF etc on a live animal. Then there's things like AI, ET, feedlotting (I don't think anyone actually "feedlots" sheep as such any more but it has been done in the past)

My knowledge is mainly in cattle and this probably comes through fairly strongly in what I've just written, but if I can be of any more help don't hesitate to ask.

Jaspal

HSC
You could always talk about Hormones, such as hormones which are used to cause the lamb to gain weight faster or grow faster?
But there are tonnes of technologies - alternatives to mulesing?
GrassGro
Virtual fencing
Theres heaps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)