Advice for math adv (1 Viewer)

hghj

HSC
Hey guys I need advice for my math advanced mark 😭
So this year I've had a bunch of stuff going on and as a result, I've flunked the first two tests for adv (I'm pretty sure my rank is around 25ish/30). I'm doing well in the rest of my subjects tho because we've mostly just had assessments.
I would love to drop to standard, but I can't because I need at least adv for the degree I want to get into. I'm usually not horrible in math and I've recently gotten a tutor so I think I can do really well for trials and the last assessment, maybe 80-90%. But idk if I'll be able to improve my rank enough.
Do you guys think I can still get like a high band 4 - or even a low band 5 with these marks?

Big_Kev

HSC
Hey!

You can most definitely achieve your desired goal of a band 4-5. In fact, it's even still possible to work towards a band 6. Since you've gotten a tutor, you can spend some extra time dedicated to math & ask clarifications easier etc. and you can improve to the point where over the next couple of terms, you can even increase your rank. Speaking from second-hand experience, a few of my friends accelerated maths last year and at the end of term 1, a couple of them were ranked at the very bottom But I saw them do the same thing; they worked with their tutors and were able to immensely improve not only their ranks, but also their internal marks, so they got sent in on high band 5's/band 6's, and so were able to get band 6's in the HSC.

So don't give up hope, because it's not even trials yet & your rank can DEFINITELY be increased. I'm not too sure how many trials all schools do, but remember - the major trial at the end usually weighs much more than most of the other assessments you sit, and if you can work towards getting a higher mark in that, (like you say, 80-90% which is really really good), your rank will also greatly improve, and so your school will likely send you into the HSC with a higher internal mark.

You've got this! Don't give up

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The weighting of the first two exams that you completed should be considered. The higher the weighting of each exam, the more significant the effect of unfavourable performance. However, the fact that you still have an assessment and your trial exam yet to be completed means that there is still a significant weighting that you can capitalise on by ensuring that you perform at the highest possible standard, which will hopefully allow you to improve your rank considerably. The fact that you will be assisted by a tutor also seems promising, so long as you also do your utmost to perform well.

With that being said, it is important to note that the exact improvement to your rank will also depend on the performance of other students in your cohort. Of course, this is an element that is beyond your control, although you can control your own performance, and the higher the standard you set, the more likely you are to further improve your rank.

This is in terms of your Assessment Mark, which contributes 50% of your HSC mark for Mathematics Advanced, the other 50% being from your performance in your HSC exam. This is important because the HSC exam alone is worth 50% and therefore provides you with a great opportunity to perform well and ultimately maximise your HSC mark. If everything goes your way, an HSC mark in the band 4/5 (and perhaps even band 6, as Big_Kev mentioned above) range is definitely attainable.

From your post, it seems that you are referring to the maths prerequisite for USyd degrees. If that is the case, keep in mind that even if you do not end up meeting the band 4 requirement (hopefully you will not have to worry about this at all), you can still meet the prerequisite by completing the MOOC, the details of which can be accessed using the following link:

I hope this helps! 😄

hghj

HSC
Hey!

You can most definitely achieve your desired goal of a band 4-5. In fact, it's even still possible to work towards a band 6. Since you've gotten a tutor, you can spend some extra time dedicated to math & ask clarifications easier etc. and you can improve to the point where over the next couple of terms, you can even increase your rank. Speaking from second-hand experience, a few of my friends accelerated maths last year and at the end of term 1, a couple of them were ranked at the very bottom But I saw them do the same thing; they worked with their tutors and were able to immensely improve not only their ranks, but also their internal marks, so they got sent in on high band 5's/band 6's, and so were able to get band 6's in the HSC.

So don't give up hope, because it's not even trials yet & your rank can DEFINITELY be increased. I'm not too sure how many trials all schools do, but remember - the major trial at the end usually weighs much more than most of the other assessments you sit, and if you can work towards getting a higher mark in that, (like you say, 80-90% which is really really good), your rank will also greatly improve, and so your school will likely send you into the HSC with a higher internal mark.

You've got this! Don't give up
Aw thank you! I really needed that motivation 💪🏼

hghj

HSC
The weighting of the first two exams that you completed should be considered. The higher the weighting of each exam, the more significant the effect of unfavourable performance. However, the fact that you still have an assessment and your trial exam yet to be completed means that there is still a significant weighting that you can capitalise on by ensuring that you perform at the highest possible standard, which will hopefully allow you to improve your rank considerably. The fact that you will be assisted by a tutor also seems promising, so long as you also do your utmost to perform well.

With that being said, it is important to note that the exact improvement to your rank will also depend on the performance of other students in your cohort. Of course, this is an element that is beyond your control, although you can control your own performance, and the higher the standard you set, the more likely you are to further improve your rank.

This is in terms of your Assessment Mark, which contributes 50% of your HSC mark for Mathematics Advanced, the other 50% being from your performance in your HSC exam. This is important because the HSC exam alone is worth 50% and therefore provides you with a great opportunity to perform well and ultimately maximise your HSC mark. If everything goes your way, an HSC mark in the band 4/5 (and perhaps even band 6, as Big_Kev mentioned above) range is definitely attainable.

From your post, it seems that you are referring to the maths prerequisite for USyd degrees. If that is the case, keep in mind that even if you do not end up meeting the band 4 requirement (hopefully you will not have to worry about this at all), you can still meet the prerequisite by completing the MOOC, the details of which can be accessed using the following link:

I hope this helps! 😄
Thank you! I will be sure to keep this in mind 🙏

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)