advice needed plz,... (1 Viewer)

lil_o_gal

hullo,..i've been reading all the info in this site n it's really helpful,..thanks to all those people for the info,..
umm,..i was thinkin of doin med but since its too hard to get in,..is there any other ways,..like u know,.doing a degree first and then goin into med,..if yes what course do u think is the best,...
n also,..for vetinary science what is the required uai,..is it very competetive like med,..do i need work experience an stuff for it too,...

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
You can do another degree and
1/ Finish the degree and do graduate medicine
2/ get very high marks and try to transfer.

It doesn't matter what course, as long as you do very well. But Science based courses would give you good background for med.

Keep in mind no matter what you do, there is additional entry criteria - the UMAT for undergrad medicine/GAMSAT for graduate medicine; and the interview.

Vet Science is offered at USyd, not UNSW. The UAI is about 98+ I think.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
What she said. :)

Note that undergraduate entry and graduate entry are about equivalent in difficulty of entry, though many people will say that graduate is easier. Take a look at www.acer.edu.au for more info

lil_o_gal

ummm,..i was thinkin' of that too,..but do u think sitting for the umat is worth the try,..an do u know when its being held,..can anyone do it or is it just the year 12 students,..sorry so many questions,..;)

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
no prob with the questions =)
the umat's held around july-ish but you can register pretty early.. the deadline for registering last year was about mid-june.
yes you have to be year 12 or higher. So if u muck it up in yr 12 u can take a gap year, do umat again and try out for med the next year.
yes sitting for umat is worth a try~!!... babydoll's already said you need to do gamsat if u try out for postgrad med. There is no uni that offers undergrad med places for students who have not done umat. Dont' bum out of things jus cuz they look hard/intimidating.. if u don't do so well, no worries, there are other ppl who won't have done well too~! (besides, at least u can say u tried..)

u really should check out what's in both med and vet sci.. i did work exp at both a vet clinic and at westmead, and they're vastly different work environments. i hated the former and revelled in the latter. So yeah~ make sure u choose what u want =)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
How do you get into dentistry in UNSW? Do you need to sit for GAMSAT and interview?....i hate extra stuffs like that...

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+
There is no uni that offers undergrad med places for students who have not done umat.
That is untrue James Cook Uni in Queensland offers Ungrad med without needing to do UMAT.

Originally posted by Survivor39
How do you get into dentistry in UNSW? Do you need to sit for GAMSAT and interview?....i hate extra stuffs like that...
UNSW does not offer dentistry. If you want to study Dent then USYD is the only Uni in NSW that has it which requires a Uni degree,GAMSAT, Interview. Alternative method is going interstate which offers ungrad dent.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
my mistake =) ehh.. but jcu still has interview.
interstate undergrad dentistry requires umat, interview.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)