advice on PIP topic.......feedback (1 Viewer)

lex123

HSC
my topic is:

"are the themes presented in market saturated reality tv a reflection of a society changing its moral values....?

basically im looking at the saturation of reality tv and how whether the themes presented in reality tv are indicitive of society's morals today. i will b comparing 3 times frames- the victorian era, the sixties and today......

i will be analysing 3 programs as a focus: big brother, the bachelorette/bachelor, survivor

any feed back would be good..what do yous think?

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
Sounds good,

two questions -

- what methodologies are u using?
- how far are you - PIP wise...?

lex123

HSC
my main methodology so far has been a lot of secondary research. i had to research the saturation of reality tv, and so forth. im also using statistics to look at things like trends in marriage and divorce rates and this will be used in my study of the bachelorette.

the whole main focus is what kind of society have we become. i did a focus group on a group of people aged between 50-60 and i get them to tell me stuff about tv in the sixties and what were moral and acceptable standards of bahavior and asking them how reality tv today would have been perceived back then. im also looking to do some questionaires/surveys on asking people whether they watch reality tv and what they think of it.

finally in my exposition of the victorian era i am just using secondary research and i am using Jane Austen "Emma" as a source to gain insight into morals and values of women and marriage.

so yeh...ive done a lot of my research..i still have heaps to go for big brother but itll b good...now ive got to start the typing....argggghhhhh

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
are you doing Emma VS Clueless 4 English?

If so, I was under the impression that you wern't allowed to use set texts of subjects in other subjects.

how do you plan to relate the Bachelor/ette back to divorce and marriage trends??

lex123

HSC
thanks for that...i am doing emma and clueless for english and i was unaware that u couldnt use them in other subjects...but thats cool ive got heaps of other info and material i can use for the victorian era...

what im doing with the bachelor/ette is basically comparing the idea of the show to the values held in the sixties... in my focus group i asked questions that showed what type of marriage values were held and so forth...

with the bachelor/bachelette only one couple out of five seasons hasnt divorced. my aim is to compare divorce rates from the sixties to now.....the fact that divorce rates has increased shows that divorce is becoming more acceptable....thats the kind of link im making to it..

also im doing a questionaire on whether people today think that it is moral for a female (the bachelorette-trista) to be courting after 25 men....ive already got results for this from my focus group....

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by lex123
my topic is:

"are the themes presented in market saturated reality tv a reflection of a society changing its moral values....?

basically im looking at the saturation of reality tv and how whether the themes presented in reality tv are indicitive of society's morals today. i will b comparing 3 times frames- the victorian era, the sixties and today......

i will be analysing 3 programs as a focus: big brother, the bachelorette/bachelor, survivor

any feed back would be good..what do yous think?
I am a big fan of reality Tv and I'm sure you are one of those people too. Even though many suggest that the topic of reality TV is overdone, I still firmly believe you can gain an outstanding mark by utilising your materials appropriately.

To gain the top range of marks (28 - 29), you really need to focus more on PAST researches. Use journal articles about the saturation of reality TV and formulate your OWN hypothesis. make sure your hypothesis and results are SUPPORTED by past research. Statistics itself is meaningless without in-depth analysis of WHY. Questionnaires only provide quantitative data and little or no depth in information. Focus group itself is not sufficently enough so I would suggest you to incoperate one or two interviews with academics or experts on the field of reality TV shows.

This is the ONLY way you can gain high mark doing this topic. A lot of people have had an attempt on it and to make yours turly stand out, you need to go one step further as what I have told you.

I hope this helps. Good luck :)

lex123

HSC
thanks for that...

the research that i have found about the saturation of reality tv has all been from secondary research such as news clippings and articles that i have found on the net. i interviewd one a family friend who actually did a thesis on it for uni so that was quite helpful... im not basing all my info in questionaires, theyre just merely to c society's point of view

when u said that the topic is overdone, were u referring to the topic being overdone in terms of people doing it for their PIP???

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by lex123

when u said that the topic is overdone, were u referring to the topic being overdone in terms of people doing it for their PIP???
Yes. Last year one of my classmate did reality. She got a band 5 even though she told me she did well in the exam. The PIP must have let her down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)