Advice on two subjects in one day (1 Viewer)

stillthinkin

HSC
Hi guys,

Just looking for your advice on whether I should go hard out for both my subjects on Tuesday - Chem and society or try and study more for the one that I think I could definately do well in.

Our school hasn't had a great history with the sciences, last year no one got a band 6 in any of the sciences. With this said, this years cohort is much stronger and I'm ranked 4th in chem.

Alternatively, I have a strong history with society and culture, I'm coming second but only by a fraction of a mark. I think I did pretty well in my PIP and the exam is only worth 60%. Our school does much better in society getting 6 or 7 band sixes each year.

I'm doing 13 units and am confident I did well in the past 9 that I have completed. So if I bomb in chem it won't actually count.

So the question is, should I study for both, as I have been or concentrate on society and try and get the maximum amount of marks I can for chem. I'm just worried because of my rank, everyone else will suffer, and I don't want to put that burden on them.

Any advice would be great, particularly those who have had 2 in one day before.

Aysce

HSC
Since there are more band 6s in society and culture and that you seem to be strong, i think you should focus more on chem but not to the extent of neglecting society and culture entirely or majorly.

forgot

HSC
Uni Grad
^ agree, don't just focus on one subject and neglect the other.

teeah

HSC
Lol, we actually got a few band 6's in science (most in bio), though I agree last year's performance was poor.

I've said this before but I think you're quite capable of getting band 6 in both subjects. If you feel more confident in society, shouldn't you spend that time addressing your weaknesses in chem?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Ohh I didn't know you two went to same school! ^

My advice, study what is most needed. If you already have studied more for Society, focus on chem weakness. Yes, you may say it won't count but it's safer to put your best foot forward in it, no point doing the whole sub for the year to not give a decent effort in last exam.

stillthinkin

HSC
Lol, we actually got a few band 6's in science (most in bio), though I agree last year's performance was poor.

I've said this before but I think you're quite capable of getting band 6 in both subjects. If you feel more confident in society, shouldn't you spend that time addressing your weaknesses in chem?
Ahh, but you underestimate my enormous powers of procrastination. I just don't think that I will be able to consume all of the chemistry syllabus plus prepare enough for society to get my 98 which is what I am planning on getting :(

I hate the HSC it just wants to screw me over one last time before I am free of it. But come on 13 units...the idea of quitting completely appears very attractive right now.

stillthinkin

HSC

I've already tried it and even if I got a 90 which is the maximum that I believe that I can achieve for chem, with hard out studying, it still won't count because I do maths extension + adv and all those English and modern. So unless I get a band 6 there is no way that chem will count in any situation. Plus your amazing at this subject and considering the fact that I am no where near as good as you, I want to make sure that I can absolutely nail society that it counts as my remaining units.

Its risky but its a risk that I am willing to take :p

stillthinkin

HSC
Ohh I didn't know you two went to same school! ^

My advice, study what is most needed. If you already have studied more for Society, focus on chem weakness. Yes, you may say it won't count but it's safer to put your best foot forward in it, no point doing the whole sub for the year to not give a decent effort in last exam.
Yes we go to the same school.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about it, and wouldn't it just be better to concentrate on absolutely acing a subject that I know is easy and I can do well in than risking the majority of my time in attempting to save something that is dead/dying already. Like I said I completed 9 units already so even if I do well in society, it will count over chemistry which I am going to have to blitz which, lets face it is not going to happen.

I was even thinking about dropping chemistry tomorrow, but I would rather just finish the course and not have it count, so in case I chose to do it at uni, I don't have to do a bridging course.

This is what my sister did - she didn't study for chem and still got 98.4. She only had 12 so she had to bank on chem not counting. I'm doing 13 and I can definitely say that my chem will not count, no matter how amazing the scaling is. Unfortunately in this case, neither can live while the other survives.

Thanks for your advice though, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I'd advise you to just drop chem. Your society and culture mark should be in the mid-90's (this is just educated guesswork), and this is enough to scale as well as chem. Therefore, chem won't really count to your atar either way and is just an extra burden, seeing as you'll spend valuable time on it.

Only real negative i see is if you screw up in Society and culture (touch wood), but yeah idk.

I was even thinking about dropping chemistry tomorrow, but I would rather just finish the course and not have it count, so in case I chose to do it at uni, I don't have to do a bridging course.
Bridging courses aren't compulsory for afaik, so as long as you just know your chem theory you'll be fine.

teeah

HSC
I've already tried it and even if I got a 90 which is the maximum that I believe that I can achieve for chem, with hard out studying, it still won't count because I do maths extension + adv and all those English and modern. So unless I get a band 6 there is no way that chem will count in any situation. Plus your amazing at this subject and considering the fact that I am no where near as good as you, I want to make sure that I can absolutely nail society that it counts as my remaining units.

Its risky but its a risk that I am willing to take :p
Why were you on at 2.46 am? :O
If you feel as though that's really what you want to do, (it appears as though you've made your mind up and are sort of looking for confirmation that its a good idea) then do it. Just make sure you at least look at chemistry once before Tuesday though. :)

Ahh, but you underestimate my enormous powers of procrastination. I just don't think that I will be able to consume all of the chemistry syllabus plus prepare enough for society to get my 98 which is what I am planning on getting :(

I hate the HSC it just wants to screw me over one last time before I am free of it. But come on 13 units...the idea of quitting completely appears very attractive right now.
Just hold out for a few more days..we're all in the same boat right now and then party that pent up stress away 22/11 :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes we go to the same school.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about it, and wouldn't it just be better to concentrate on absolutely acing a subject that I know is easy and I can do well in than risking the majority of my time in attempting to save something that is dead/dying already. Like I said I completed 9 units already so even if I do well in society, it will count over chemistry which I am going to have to blitz which, lets face it is not going to happen.

This is what my sister did - she didn't study for chem and still got 98.4. She only had 12 so she had to bank on chem not counting. I'm doing 13 and I can definitely say that my chem will not count, no matter how amazing the scaling is. Unfortunately in this case, neither can live while the other survives.

Thanks for your advice though, I really appreciate it.
Well as my sig says, tread your own path to greatness. DOn't study chem, just rock up to the exam causer you've done it for a year but focus on nailing SOciety and Culture. I mean I don't think Chem will count for me, but you have much more a sold idea of that with the 13 units than me with 12.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
To drop or not to drop that is the question?
Ohh no point dropping now, just front up to the exam and do it. Honestly, you've sat through chem for 2 years you might as well give it a whirl for the sake of it-even if it doesn't count, it's still there in the back ups.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)