• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

alkanes/alkenes and other syllabus woes (1 Viewer)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Is the type of question in the 2002 paper, Q19 (flow diagram, radioactive decay) still examinable?

The same question for the alkane/alkene questions as in q 17 of the 2002 paper, are they still examinable? There's a question of the sort in the 2003 paper, 'Explain the trends in BP on the graph' with the BPs of alkanoic acids, alkanols and alkanes graphed. I can't find the relevant dot point where the hell is it?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Sorry Alicia, i'm not familar with the new syllabus. Can't help you here. :(

here's a question of the sort in the 2003 paper, 'Explain the trends in BP on the graph' with the BPs of alkanoic acids, alkanols and alkanes graphed.
seems pretty standard though, it relate to the types of intermolecular forces, maybe there is a dot point on that.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Seems to me question 19 is "describe the condition under which a nucleus is stable". :confused:

Anyway, the dot point you're looking for is:
Explain the difference in melting points and boiling points caused by straight-chained alkanoic acids and straight-chained primary alkanol structures.

;)

serge

HSC
cherryblossom said:
Is the type of question in the 2002 paper, Q19 (flow diagram, radioactive decay) still examinable?

The same question for the alkane/alkene questions as in q 17 of the 2002 paper, are they still examinable?
The flow diagram is testing if you know how radioactive isotopes decay,
yes you need to know it...

the alkane/alkene question 17, i swear i saw the dotpoint about physical
and chemical properties a few days ago in the syllabus...

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:

The same question for the alkane/alkene questions as in q 17 of the 2002 paper, are they still examinable? There's a question of the sort in the 2003 paper, 'Explain the trends in BP on the graph' with the BPs of alkanoic acids, alkanols and alkanes graphed. I can't find the relevant dot point where the hell is it?
u need to know wut the flow chart is, u no longer need to remember it...

as for alkene and alkane having similar physical properities (ie bp/mp) they have similar dispersion forces... but due to the electron rich centre of the double bond, alkene is much more reactive than alkane...

as for alkanoic acid/alkanol and alkane, explain the differing number of hydrogen bonds and hence different number of possible hydrogen bondings...

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Seems to me question 19 is "describe the condition under which a nucleus is stable". :confused:

Anyway, the dot point you're looking for is:
Explain the difference in melting points and boiling points caused by straight-chained alkanoic acids and straight-chained primary alkanol structures.

;)
that's in the HSC syllabus?
wait wait jm your notes are old syllabus? they look new to me.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
cherryblossom said:
that's in the HSC syllabus?
wait wait jm your notes are old syllabus? they look new to me.
Yes it is. In the esterification part of AE. :)

geminikitty

HSC
N/A
Decay series

No, you don't actually need to know the decay series, this is from the syllabus from 2000-2001. But you do need to know the actual basic decay equations for each type of radioactivity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)