Alternate way into Law (1 Viewer)

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Say my first preference is Business/Law, but its likely that i won't get the relatively high UAI needed. If i put down Business as my second UNI preference, and miss out on my first one, I can just do Business for a year, then transfer into Business/Law, without wasting a year doing a course unrelated to the one I want to transfer to after the year, can I not?

1) Does this seem like a good strategy to you?

2) Would this strategy mean I would still have ended up doing 6 years instead of the 5 needed for Business/Law, or will the UNI take into account that my 1st year was done doing much the same/the same core Business topics I would have done anyway?

3) What kind of marks would i need to get in the 1st year of Business to be assured of being able to transfer to Business/Law? Is this reasonable?

4) Thanks for your help

Oh and by the way, this is all at Newcastle UNI if that helps

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
1) Yes.

2) Yes; if you don't catch up the law subjects missed during your first year, thereby finishing within 5 years, you'll end up going over time.

3) Distinction average (75+). If you can't achieve that, you probably shouldn't be doing law... :)

4) Nurries! :D

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Cool, thanks a lot for the reply Lazzy boy ... Now I just have to decide what i actually want to combine Law with. In your opinion, what would be more interesting/provide more career opportunities: Arts/Law or Business/Law?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I think Arts/Law would be more interesting and Business/Law would provide more career opportunities. :D

timmii

sporadic attendee
Hehehe business isn't that bad...

Fade: what are u interested in? Because no matter how many career opportunities something may or may not provide, if you don't like doing it, do u really want a career in it? If you don't *like* commerce, you shouldn't do it - too many people in my course are unhappy, and really you should be going to uni because you enjoy what you do! If you're doing law, the pressure to get a "valuable" degree is already lifted because law in itself is pretty useful...

I was at an investment banking seminar the other day, and some of the people with great jobs there had done arts/law degrees and had no previous business training...they'd used the law and learnt the business stuff on the job!

If you like economics at school but are also a fan of politics/history, you can do economics/law and pick government subjects, so that you get some "interest" subjects like u would in arts with the "career" opportunities of economics...?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)