Am I Cut Out For School? (2 Viewers)

theitguy

HSC
Hi, I was wondering if I could get some thoughtful answers from this community, I'm positive that I'm not the only person who's been faced with this problem before.

Ever since I started high school, I really didn't get into the insane work ethic thing. I do what I'm required to do, write what I'm required to write, when an assessment comes around, I usually end up doing it at the last minute, and I've gotten pretty good marks all round (I've had a couple of bunged up maths tests, but other then that I'm an above average student, got band 5/6's in the SC). I have felt for around 1-2 years now that I've been targeted as the source of mucking around in class, ever since a particular incident happened. First question, do teachers confer about you before the start of a year, for example will my year 10 history teacher have shared her thoughts about me to my year 11 teacher, and told him to keep an 'eye' out? I say this because I admit, and it's a terrible habit that I do talk a lot in class, with 1 of my friends who's in most of my classes, but where I get in huge trouble, he doesn't get more then a warning.

My marks in my year 11 Ancient class are above average, but due to classroom behaviour my teacher has put me on a faculty monitoring system or something. My mum has been encouraging me (forcefully) to leave school for over a year now, and my brother and sister both achieved high 90's, my parents were both high achievers as well (I am the youngest). I want to become a software designer, I've always had a thing for it.

I just find it hard to concentrate in class. In English, I do heaps well without listening, I listen in maths mainly because I'm beginning to quite enjoy it. It should also be mentioned that I'm not a dumbarse (but I'm not too arrogant to realise that being intelligent alone is not enough to get you a decent HSC mark).

Enough about me. I wake up everyday and think to myself about how much I hate the school lifestyle. The school has crap regulations in place from everything to hair and uniform (they are big on reputation) to making students buy back their confiscated mobile phones for $5. The school isn't my friend like it should be, giving me my education, it's the enemy, it's a set of rules that just make me pissed off. I'd much rather listen to what my friends have to say then some guy blabber on about a 2000 year old rock which I couldn't care less about. I am completely uninterested in most of my subjects (software, maths and English aside), but I suppose due to my upbringing, I just feel like going to TAFE or something would just be a copout and I feel like I can do better.

Why is it so hard for me to just knuckle down for the next 18 months like everyone says?

Am I really cut out for school in this way? Should I just go to TAFE, or just get a full time job and do that?

I've always felt confident that I would be able to achieve in school, but at the moment I just feel like school makes me angry, and also I suppose I'm getting the usual homo typical teenage thoughts like "Being a teenager is the only time I'm going to care about my hair being the way I want, why can't you just let me".

I would heaps appreciate thoughtful answers to this, but it's been beneficial for me just to write the post, I haven't really organised my thoughts like this yet. So if you can't be bothered to read it properly, whatever.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
theitguy said:
The school has crap regulations in place from everything to hair and uniform (they are big on reputation) to making students buy back their confiscated mobile phones for $5.
Wow, that's scary.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
theitguy said:
First question, do teachers confer about you before the start of a year
Probably, I mean nobody can say for sure (unless they are a teacher). But it's assumed other teachers talk to other teachers about previous/future students.

Even if so it isn't exactly like you are getting trouble for nothing - just stop talking when you shouldn't be.

theitguy said:
My marks in my year 11 Ancient class are above average, but due to classroom behaviour my teacher has put me on a faculty monitoring system or something. My mum has been encouraging me (forcefully) to leave school for over a year now, and my brother and sister both achieved high 90's, my parents were both high achievers as well (I am the youngest). I want to become a software designer, I've always had a thing for it.
If that's what you really want to do then maybe you should start working for it. By doing well in your HSC and keeping your options open.

theitguy said:
Why is it so hard for me to just knuckle down for the next 18 months like everyone says?
Maybe because you don't have a clear direction and aren't enjoying your time at school. You say you want to be a software design, do you have a clear path you want to follow? Know the course you want to get into? Have goals?

theitguy said:
Am I really cut out for school in this way? Should I just go to TAFE, or just get a full time job and do that?
Not everyone enjoys school but most people realise you have to do what you don't want to do to get where you want to be. If your just pulling out of school for the reasons you have listed then maybe you don't really want your choosen career as much as you say, because completing your education would certainly help with that.

theitguy said:
I've always felt confident that I would be able to achieve in school, but at the moment I just feel like school makes me angry, and also I suppose I'm getting the usual homo typical teenage thoughts like "Being a teenager is the only time I'm going to care about my hair being the way I want, why can't you just let me".
Private school much?

Maybe you should think about changing schools, because from the sounds of it that is where most of your problems are coming from.

jazzbaby

HSC
i think its really your decision.. but from what i read you seem pretty smart .. and unless you think you are wasting your time at school , i think you should just stay on. and try not to be so talkative in class ..coz you are not helping yourself and are probably disrupting other students in class

best of luck

bored of sc

HSC
If you feel talking to your friend in class is a bad habit - don't sit next to them. Just explain to them (your friend) that you are trying to stop talking in class: I am sure they will understand.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
it sounds like your angry at YOUR school rather than school in general. Change schools is the best peice of advice I can give, I know its a hard thing to do in Year11/12 but if you dont enjoy it then whats the point?

Its going to be your personal decision but you sound like a pretty good student.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)