american beauty (1 Viewer)

Sam.

bored.
HSC
I haven't watched the entire film, so I can't comment on everything and if I get something wrong, just, forget it.

I guess if you use this as a piece of 'Imaginative Journeys' material, you'd be looking at the little daydreams he goes on. Is that right? If you are confident using this film, then go for it, however from what I can remember (and admittedly it was a fair while ago that I last watched it) those mini dream sequences are the only imaginative journeys he goes on. Personally, I would find it hard to link those together and form a coherent argument. But that's me, I find it easier to use a text that is imaginative overall, rather than having to pick out particular scenes that could be interpreted as being a journey.

Anyway, if you're doing that film, any film, the main techniques you should look out for are:

- mise en scene: how is the shot structured, where are characters positioned in relation to props, backdrops etc. this is particularly resonant when a specific object is focused on, or when the mise en scene is illogical, confusing, unstructured or unconventional
- music scoring: loud, soft, crescendos, what type of music is placed in what scene, how does that affect the mood/tone/atmosphere of the scene
- camera angles: point-of-view (ie. head height, lower perspective, higher perspective) unconventional/confusing angles, emotion/position/perspective of characters portrayed
- editing: how are shots pieced together to make a sequence (ie. short cuts, long takes, extended shots), transitions, filters and effects, cutting sequences
- special effects: if they are used, what are they, how are they used to heighten the sense of an imaginative journey etc.
- lighting: enhance sense of isolation, comfort, darkness, commonplace, psychology etc, heighten atmosphere, increase tension
- dialogue: dramatic pausing, quick bursts of conversation (I can't remember the exact word, I'll get it later), humour, tension

Hope that makes some sense. Those are just a few, I've gotta go so I might write some more later.

Last edited:

Spunge12

HSC
joesmith1975 said:
not probaly has watched it thats why :(
Try Inner Journey.

It's really a journey that the protagonist takes to be free.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Nah American Beauty belongs to imaginative journeys.

Look Closer. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)