• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

American History X, inner journey notes ...PLZ... (1 Viewer)

jodie301189

HSC
i am doing an assignment on inner journeys and one of my chosen texts is American History X... can you give an example of the inner journeys in it???? thankyou =)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
You can't see the inner journeys?

Both the child (Danny the narrator) and his older brother Derek go through inner journeys. The older brother experiences an inner journey when his perceptions of black people are changed. He sees this most of all in gaol, where a black man is the only thing that keeps him sane. You can see this by facial expressions, intimate closeups with both of the characters as they develop a friendship.

He realises that hate is baggage, and that he has been pissed off since the beginning, blamed his troubles on black people, and nothing he has done has changed his life or made him less pissed off. He sees that hate does nothing but cause more trouble.

Bob Sweeney: There was a moment... when I used to blame everything and everyone... for all the pain and suffering and vile things that happened to me, that I saw happen to my people. Used to blame everybody. Blamed white people, blamed society, blamed God. I didn't get no answers 'cause I was asking the wrong questions. You have to ask the right questions.
Derek Vinyard: Like what?
Bob Sweeney: Has anything you've done made your life better?
My most favourite quote is in this movie. Danny quotes Lincoln's speech, the speech that was given in an attempt to bring piece.

But here is the movie's quote, narrated by Danny:

So I guess this is where I tell you what I learned - my conclusion, right? Well, my conclusion is: Hate is baggage. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time. It's just not worth it. Derek says it's always good to end a paper with a quote. He says someone else has already said it best. So if you can't top it, steal from them and go out strong. So I picked a guy I thought you'd like. 'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'
Although bear in mind this is just material at the top of my head. You must refer such quotes to what it means or how it shows an inner journey. You can search quotes from the internet.

jodie301189

HSC
that REALLY helps... i have something to start working with now, thankyou, i hadnt seen the movie yet, just read a synopsis and it sounded good. but thanks for ur help...

kc-ok-la

HSC
it helps majorly to watch the movie,

whatyou should do is focus on a few points, maybe 3-5 of them by the end of the year

then in your HSC and exam etc you gotta remember ur main things to tell the marker :

technique ( technique used to portray something, ie flash backs etc, black and white)

example ( give a specific scene and what he does

effect : what does this technique do to theaudience? what does it imply to the audience ? what message is it sending across?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)