Anode/Cathode, which one is positive and negative? (3 Viewers)

vds700

HSC
I've started ideas to implementation and the text says that the cathode is negative and the anode is positive.

When we did galvanic cells in chem, it was the cathode that was positive and the anode negative.

Could someone please explain??? Thanks!

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Varies with situations.

Copy&Paste from wikipedia:

When the electrodes are connected externally (as in the figure, with wire and a lightbulb), the electrons tend to flow from the more negative electrode (Zn) to the more positive electrode (Cu). Because the electrons have negative charge, this produces an electric current that is opposite the electron flow. At the same time, an equal ionic current flows through the electrolyte. For every two electrons that flow from the Zn electrode through the external connection to the Cu electrode, on the electrolyte side a Zn atom must go into solution as a Zn2+ ion, at the same time replacing the two electrons that have left the Zn electrode by the external connection. By definition, the anode is the electrode where oxidation (removal of electrons) takes place, so in this galvanic cell the Zn electrode is the anode. Because the Cu has gained two electrons from the external connection, it must release two electrons at the electrolyte side, where a Cu2+ ion plates onto the Cu electrode. By definition, the cathode is the electrode where reduction (gain of electrons) takes place, so the Cu electrode is the cathode.

Anode is negative :l

Oxidation is loss of electrons but the electrons don't go into the other electrode. Instead they combine with the solution to form crystals on the opposing electrode. The anode is oxidised so it must be more negative to form equalibrium between the two electrodes.

Last edited:

vds700

HSC
Studentleader said:
Varies with situations.

Copy&Paste from wikipedia:

When the electrodes are connected externally (as in the figure, with wire and a lightbulb), the electrons tend to flow from the more negative electrode (Zn) to the more positive electrode (Cu). Because the electrons have negative charge, this produces an electric current that is opposite the electron flow. At the same time, an equal ionic current flows through the electrolyte. For every two electrons that flow from the Zn electrode through the external connection to the Cu electrode, on the electrolyte side a Zn atom must go into solution as a Zn2+ ion, at the same time replacing the two electrons that have left the Zn electrode by the external connection. By definition, the anode is the electrode where oxidation (removal of electrons) takes place, so in this galvanic cell the Zn electrode is the anode. Because the Cu has gained two electrons from the external connection, it must release two electrons at the electrolyte side, where a Cu2+ ion plates onto the Cu electrode. By definition, the cathode is the electrode where reduction (gain of electrons) takes place, so the Cu electrode is the cathode.

Anode is negative :l

Oxidation is loss of electrons but the electrons don't go into the other electrode. Instead they combine with the solution to form crystals on the opposing electrode. The anode is oxidised so it must be more negative to form equalibrium between the two electrodes.
yeah this explains the chemistry side of things, but why is it opposite in physics?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
vds700 said:
yeah this explains the chemistry side of things, but why is it opposite in physics?
Electron current is opposite to conventional current.
Physics uses conventional alot

Electron current is negative to postive (electron flow)
Convention current is positive to negative

Last edited:

vds700

HSC
Studentleader said:
Electron current is opposite to conventional current.
Physics uses conventional alot

Electron current is negative to postive (electron flow)
Convention current is positive to negative
yeah i know that.

In a galvanbic cell, oxidation occurs at the anode, so electrons flow to the cathode, which reduces. So conventional current flows from cathode to anode. So for a galvanic cell, the cathode is positive.

Why is it in a cathode ray tube that the anode is positive and the cathode negative?

vds700

HSC
Can someone please explain this. I'm really confused as to why its opposite in physics and chemistry. Thanks

vds700

HSC
Thanks. Yeah in chem the anode is negatuve and cathode positive.

Whereas in a cathode ray tube, the textbook says the anode is positive and cathode is negative. Is this right? Can someone please explain? Thanks!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
darkwolfzx said:
when we did chem last year we remembered that anion -> onions -> tears -> -ve
That is the hardest way to remember. :D :D :D

How is tear related to -ve

EDIT: What about cation?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
yea. long winded way to remember something. Its like potassium sounds like possum. If you flatten a possum out with a steam roller, it's legs will be in a K position. Tahts how you remember the symbol of potassium is K. It's was pretty funny when my teacher said it, but it seems a bit long winded.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
vds700 said:
Can someone please explain this. I'm really confused as to why its opposite in physics and chemistry. Thanks
Seriously ask teacher because your not going to get any help here.

vds700

HSC
Studentleader said:
Seriously ask teacher because your not going to get any help here.
ok i will, I couldnt exactly ask him when i was on holidays could I?

i just thought that someone here might be able to explain it

vds700

HSC
i think i might have figured it out.

I think hundreds of years ago, they didn't know that electric current was a flow of electrons from negative to positive. They thought it ran from positive to negative. The rays in a cathode ray tube went from cathode to anode, so they thought the cathode was positive. But conventional current went from anode to cathode, so actually, anode is positive and cathode is negative in the case of a CRT.

hmm. this conventional and non-conventional current thing is really confusing.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
actually, staright from physics contexts 2 p.229 "the plate connected to the negative pole of the batter was called the cathode and the plate connected to the positive pole of the battery was called teh anode"

so basically some stoopid guy named it in such a way that the electrons go from the negative terminal to the Cathode to the anode to the positive terminal, thus, since electrons flow from (-) to (+), they flow from negative terminal on battery to cathode (relatively speaking, the cathode here can be seen as (+), but in the CRT, relatively, the electrons go from cathode to anode, so teh cathode is said to be (+) relative to teh CRT , while the anode is (-), etc

so basically, all u need to get out of this is The cathode is negative because it is conected to the negative terminal, however , we know (-)----> (+) therefore it is the CATHODE, as the negative terminal of the battery must be connected to a 'positive' terminal (hence cathode)

dunno if that helped, that's my understanding of it, and i knwo its not very well explained, but better than nothin i spose

vds700

HSC
Pwnage101 said:
actually, staright from physics contexts 2 p.229 "the plate connected to the negative pole of the batter was called the cathode and the plate connected to the positive pole of the battery was called teh anode"

so basically some stoopid guy named it in such a way that the electrons go from the negative terminal to the Cathode to the anode to the positive terminal, thus, since electrons flow from (-) to (+), they flow from negative terminal on battery to cathode (relatively speaking, the cathode here can be seen as (+), but in the CRT, relatively, the electrons go from cathode to anode, so teh cathode is said to be (+) relative to teh CRT , while the anode is (-), etc

so basically, all u need to get out of this is The cathode is negative because it is conected to the negative terminal, however , we know (-)----> (+) therefore it is the CATHODE, as the negative terminal of the battery must be connected to a 'positive' terminal (hence cathode)

dunno if that helped, that's my understanding of it, and i knwo its not very well explained, but better than nothin i spose
ah ok thanks. It kinda makes sense now

clonestar

Physicist/*******
HSC
N/A
Very easy answer.

In CHemistry you have an electrochemical cell and an electrolytic cell. One has current forced into it(electrochemical/galvanic) and one actually generates current(electrolytic).

Here is where the deinfitions are not the same thing. In electrochemical anode=oxidising and cathode = reduction.

In electrolytic = cathode = oxidising and anode=reduction

Basically the cathode generates electrons and forces them out to which the CAThode ray tube in Physics is the same principle. i.e. you connect an induction coil which pumps out electrons then you are using an electrolytic cell.

It is along those lines...

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well, for an electrolytic cell and a galvanic cell, the two electrodes are switched too, right?

justmeme

HSC
N/A
depends on whether your talking chemistry or physics i think :S

vds700

HSC
Aerath said:
Well, for an electrolytic cell and a galvanic cell, the two electrodes are switched too, right?
yeah. The way to remember is that oxidation always occurs at the anode and reduction at the cathode.

ANOX and REDCAT

electrolytic is basically opposite to galvanic

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
OK, thanks. That sucks, trying to remember which is which. :\

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)