Answers about Law (1 Viewer)

1000words

HSC
Hi everyone,

My name is David and I have recently discovered about this forum! I have completed a combined science/law degree at Monash University.

Throughout my studies, I also enjoyed being a year 12 tutor to many students! In the next few days, I will try going through this particular forum to help out as much as I can. If you have a few question to direct at me, please feel free to ask and I will do my best to help you out with information! If I can't help you, I'll be sure to ask people who will know.

Best of luck particularly to those who wish to pursue studies in law.

Regards,
David

ramanij

hey, i'm planning to study law at unsw. i would really appreciate it if u can give me a brief insight into the workload that i will be exposed to?

1000words

HSC
ramanij said:
hey, i'm planning to study law at unsw. i would really appreciate it if u can give me a brief insight into the workload that i will be exposed to?
Hi there Ramanij!

I can't provide specifics about the UNSW law course; I'm sure others will be happy to do so for you. However, I do believe that most of the top law schools impose similar work loads.

It is also difficult to provide advice as to the workload when comparing it to year 12. I would suggest not considering 'workload' as a factor into the course as much as 'interest' i.e. whilst I had an apparently intense workload doing science and law; I was happy! You are with people who share similar interests.

You will also look back once you're established in your career and not recall too much about your workload per week but whether you enjoyed learning throughout your course and had a pleasant experience during university.

Best of luck! If others are not able to provide specifics about law in UNSW, I will try to delve into my memory of first and second year a little deeper.

Regards,
David

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Law Workload at UNSW

The workload isn't that bad, though there is a large step up in the readings when you hit second year. The quantity and depth of the reading varies:

Foundations of Law
Readings: 10-15 pages per class (UNSW booklet; fair bit of historical readings).
Reading depth: Light
Assessments: Mid-Semester Exam (30%), Class Participation [CP] (10%), Casenote (60%).

Torts
Readings: 20-25 pages per class (UNSW booklet and textbook; a few case extracts and some theory each class).
Reading depth: Average
Assessments: CP (10%), Mid-Semester Assignment (50%), Final Exam (40%).

Public Law
Readings: 25-35 pages per class (Textbook).
Reading depth: Mostly Average/Some Heavy
Assessments: CP (10%), Final Exam (90%).

Contracts 1 & 2
Readings: 25-35 pages per class (Small UNSW booklet, casebook, textbook).
Reading depth: Mostly Heavy/Some Average
Contracts 1 Assessments: CP (20%), Final Exam (80%).
Contracts 2 Assessments: CP (10%), Assignment (40%), Final Exam (50%).

Criminal Law 1
Readings: 30-40 pages per class (textbook; occassionally a recent case or news article).
Reading depth: Mostly Average/Some Light
Assessment: CP (10%), Court Research Paper (30%), Final Exam (60%)

Property Law 1 & 2
Readings: 20-30 pages per class (2 textbooks; one general one and one on equity).
Reading depth: Mostly Heavy/Some Average
Assessments: CP (20%), Optional Research Assignment (40%), Exam (80%, or 40% if you did the optional assignment).

Last edited:

1000words

HSC
Hi everyone,

Seeing as I believe everyone has put in their preferences for university, I will have a break from visiting the BOS law forums to answer questions.

I have subscribed (to receive email notification) to the 'Answers about Law' thread in the University General -> Law forum so please feel free to post a question there and I will be happy to answer any queries for you.

Alternatively, feel free to email me (via http://1000words.net) if you have any questions!

I hope that I have helped in some way and wish you the best of luck in the future!

Regards,
David

is a roflcopter
HSC
hi help me out please

would it be discrimination when a lingerie store refuses to hire me on the basis that i am male?

hehe Newbie v Coles Myer Ltd CLA 1 2005 p123

shit i dont know how to quote anymore hahaah

1000words

HSC
Newbie said:
hi help me out please

would it be discrimination when a lingerie store refuses to hire me on the basis that i am male?
Are you serious? Discrimination involves an assessment of the position (i.e. whether things could work out) as opposed to just an evaluation of whether you are qualified.

Cheap Thrills

HSC
hi, im wondering why law is mainly offered as double degrees. do the unis just want more money? i would like to study law and art (sociology and anthropology) @ UNSW or straight law @ UOW, but im just curious why they're all doubles.

lucifel

narcissitic angel
HSC
60sFlowerChild said:
hi, im wondering why law is mainly offered as double degrees. do the unis just want more money? i would like to study law and art (sociology and anthropology) @ UNSW or straight law @ UOW, but im just curious why they're all doubles.

mainly because law is traditionally offered as a post grad degree, so it'd be a bit weird to just award LLB without combination. And if you want to do law by itself, i guess B Jurisprudence/LLB is as close as you'll get in UNSW.

Summer Rain

HSC
N/A
It is not uncommon for older lawyers in their 40's, 50's and 60's to have a single degree. I think a double degree makes you a more well-rounded person. LLB impacts on businesses and society so its good to be knowledgable about other areas such as commerce. Some lawyers with only LLB's can be very narrow minded.

I also think its a good thing for you, just one year extra and you have another degree. If you choose not to practice law you can always fall back on your other degree but law will always prove valuable in other professions. It has become the new arts degree as the saying goes.

loray

HSC
hey david!
wow i want to study the same degree you did!
except i am nervous about not being able to get into law because of the high UAI!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)