Antidepressants? (1 Viewer)

Issled

HSC
Hi guys,

I have (fairly mild) depression and anxiety, and have had for the past few years. I can manage my anxiety fine most of the time, but my depression has been getting more severe this year, and I'm really struggling.

I'm seeing a psychologist, and she suggested I talk to my GP about beginning antidepressants. It'd just be an extra coping strategy, combined with seeing her and regular exercise; I wouldn't be wholly reliant on them for my mood.

If I was to start them, I'd begin these upcoming holidays so I could get used to them without the immediate pressure of school. I have a few hesitations though:
-My mum found antidepressants made her worse, and we tend to react fairly similarly to drugs (especially those related to hormones)
-Trials are next term, so if I'm really struggling over the holidays then study and Drama IP+GP are ruined.
-If the first ones I try don't work, then I don't really have another 'trial' period where I can be emotionally all over the place

I'm not suicidal, or prone to self-harm; I'm just constantly exhausted, find it difficult to focus, cry a lot, and generally feel pretty miserable most of the time. I do have a few strategies to temporarily lift it a little, but I'd obviously rather not feel shitty pretty much 24/7.

Should I give them a go, or just try and stick out the rest of the year?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I would personally advise against trialling a new medication before major HSC assessments/exams are coming up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)