Any resources to help improve at English Standard? (1 Viewer)

Otingus

HSC
I've always been a sort of okay English student, averaging around 70% in everything we do, and I really want to improve. Especially writing essays, analysing texts, that sort of thing. Are there any resources that may help? Textbooks, worksheets, study guides, etc? I've some friends who use the Atar Notes English study guide, and others have told me the Excel one is good too. What are your thoughts? What's the best way to get better at English, particularly essays, text analysis, etc.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It is important to first build a strong foundation that encompasses both knowledge of the English Standard modules as well as a range of literary and visual techniques (some of which you may have also encountered in year 11). Once you are confident that you have gained a thorough knowledge of these, this is when a subsequent, essential element needs to be considered. By this I am referring to the need for constant interaction with relevant material. In the case of text analysis, this means that you should attempt to read and analyse a range of relevant texts. The more you do this, the more you may consolidate your ability to identify and provide in-depth explanations of quotes and techniques and establish links between these, the texts and the respective modules. Past exam papers (especially past trial exam papers) typically contain a wide variety of texts that you can read and analyse, consequently allowing you to assess your analytical ability by responding to their corresponding questions. In the case of essay writing, you should attempt various essay questions that fall under each module and seek feedback from your teacher regarding your writing. This will enable you to identify areas of improvement and, if needed, implement any suggestions that your teacher may have, allowing you to gradually improve the overall quality of your writing.

Resources such as the ones that you have mentioned may benefit you in terms of providing guidance (for instance, by providing high-quality essay responses and relevant advice). In such a case, you may wish to consider whether you would be willing to pay for such resources.

The English Standard section on the Notes & Resources page also contains a range of readily accessible material that can also serve as guidance as you work towards enhancing your writing and your ability to analyse texts effectively. It can be accessed using the following link:

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)