any sites (1 Viewer)

michaeljordan23

Moderated User
any sites that will help me study the right hand palm rule ,such as the application. i'm having a damm hard time studying for this topic with the jac and excel. please help.

thanks

Huy

HSC
N/A
thumb points in I, conventional current (or motion of positive charge), induced current

fingers point in B, direction of magnetic field
palm points in F, direction of opposing force (acting on positive charge)

don't try to use flemming's left hand-finger rule
i've always hated that :D

so have your thumb pointing in conventional current,
fingers to magnetic field
and your palm shows you if the force is into a page, or out of the page

i haven't come across any sites,
but your right hand does wonders
*taps nose*

ahha :D

oh boy :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Hiya_la

i found the right hand slap rule confusing at first... but it gets easier with practice...just do heaps of probs...
its very important that u understand it... because then u do stuff like electronmagnetic induction and lenz's law which is blardi hard if u dont understand the right hard rule etc...

kini mini

HSC
Huy's explanation is correct, but as the same explanation is printed in Jacaranda and Excel I don't think it'll suit you. I have a hazy memory of a site put up by a member of the UNSW Physics faculty, which you can probably find through Google, that had some nice diagrams for motors and generators.

The best way to get the hang of the rules is to do many questions - ask your teacher for some, and look in old Excel Physics books (they have lots of questions and worked solutions). The Success One book also has examples of these questions.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
the macmillion physics books are excellent for motors and generators, try to get your hands on this book if you can.

yeah dont use the flemming's rule, its too darn confusing for me.. and for most people. Huy's explanation is how it is. the more you practise the rule, the better understanding you have.

first, always get the current first, then the b, and then the force. it is easier to start with the current.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)