any tips or advice (1 Viewer)

humptydumpty5

HSC
N/A
tips and advice on how to immensely improve in standard english!?

p.s Im aiming for a band 6

quickoats

HSC
Change your aim to "as best as possible" rather than band 6. These are very rare in standard english (just the way the course is designed) so don't be disheartened if you don't reach it (less that 0.3% of the whole standard cohort get a band 6).

It honestly depends on where you are with English. If you're not doing great, go back to basics and make sure you really have a good grasp of the basic essay structure and most importantly, how to answer the given question and back up your point. Then you can consider the syllabus and key concepts and really dive into your texts through the lens of the modules - this will inform your responses and boost them up. "Immense" improvement is done in small steps.

immboredd

HSC
The syllabus is quite important for English standard. Because the essay questions for the hsc will come from the syllabus ( not word for word but probably similar) so make sure you understand it by breaking it down and using concepts and key words from it in your response.

icycledough

HSC
Honestly, I could give the same advice I used for Advanced, which is just to practice heaps and most importantly, GET WRITTEN FEEDBACK. Even if you can complete 1 or 2 practice essays a week and ramp it up before exams, this will have give you plenty of practice writing essays to different questions and completing them within the time limit. If possible, get a tutor (although I understand it can be quite expensive and may be infeasible) to give you feedback; if that isn't possible, then asking your teacher for feedback can also be very beneficial.

Also know your texts very thoroughly (don't just read it once or not even read it at all); revise them a few times throughout the year, as you will be bound to forget certain bits of information and have clear notes based on ideas, characters, etc (however you feel comfortable with doing so).

icycledough

HSC
english teachers r useless they make me fail with their one word feedback
Yh, it depends on what type of teacher you get. My teacher last year was great as she was always able to provide me comprehensive feedback on any drafts I sent her, within a few days as well. Unfortunately, I've also had much worse teachers who won't even open my email or won't reply with anything.

Reactions: 8=D

humptydumpty5

HSC
N/A
thank you to all for the help and advice it means alot to me thanks again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)