• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anyone been to fiji? (1 Viewer)

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
so me and two of my best mates (my roommates) are headed to fiji around june next year for a month of surfing.

so my question is whats fiji like?

the people?
the prices?
the accomodation?
the airflight?
the waves?
the nightlife?
the fishing?
anything we should do while we are over there? ie bungee jump etc?

im that keen to surf cloudbreak its a joke

130 attacks fiji... i want a time machine to make it now

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Yeh I went to Fiji earlier this year, I am not a surfer or anything, but apparently the surf is like way out, and you got to get taken out in a boat, because the big waves are out beyond the reefs (im sure you already knew this).

I was not yet 18 when I went, so I cannot not a proper perspective on the nightlife, but obviously it is nothing like Sydney, and there are not many places that seem to be raging late at night. Your best chance is finding a nightclub at one of the resorts, that is where all the action is, that is where all the locals seem to turn out.

Prices are decent, although McDonalds is quite expensive...lol.

Fijians are particularly nice people, especially to Australians, they are very interested in you, and are great to chat to.

As for places to stay, I was at a pretty posh place with my family (Sheraton) so yeh, I would certainly reccommend it if you have got the money :p

Just be careful of 'dodgy' places, whether a motel or restaurent, because it is a very touristy area in some places, so vulnerable idiots are targeted.

Other than that, I found Fiji to be awesome, really nice place, certainly want to go back. Flight is easy as well.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
thanks for the heads up mate

but yeh i knew the waves were on the outer islands... we wont be staying anywhere nice thats for sure, but thats not the reason for the trip... we are there for the waves not some posh resort haha....
whats security like? is it a dangerous place?

and as for the nightlife, i just meant is it cheap and are there heaps of bars and stuff. nighclubs dont really interest us as all three of us have girlfriends ahaha that being said getting rowdy and running amok while drunk in lagoons sounds alright

xxFiveWords

HSC
erm... it's not really a dangerous place but it all depends on where you're actually going....
as for the night life there aren't heaps of bars... there's a few in like the main touristy places and stuff, don't really remember the prices and stuff...

DrownTheCrow said:
whats security like? is it a dangerous place?

and as for the nightlife, i just meant is it cheap and are there heaps of bars and stuff. nighclubs dont really interest us as all three of us have girlfriends ahaha that being said getting rowdy and running amok while drunk in lagoons sounds alright

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Yeh it is reasonably safe, but again, it is just like any other tourist destination in that you sometimes have to beware of suspect looking locals. But really the only time they Fijians seemed to cause trouble was when they were drunk! lol. No irony there...

You will have a good time, best chance at a bar would be one within a restaurant.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Meads said:
Yeh it is reasonably safe, but again, it is just like any other tourist destination in that you sometimes have to beware of suspect looking locals. But really the only time they Fijians seemed to cause trouble was when they were drunk! lol. No irony there...

You will have a good time, best chance at a bar would be one within a restaurant.
sounds awesome mate cheers :)

so do they operate on a barter system like in thailand? and whats the currency and exchange rate?

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Oh hell yeh, barter away! And they use the Fijian dollar, and you actually get about $1.25 to the Aussie dollar, so pretty sweet.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Meads said:
Oh hell yeh, barter away! And they use the Fijian dollar, and you actually get about $1.25 to the Aussie dollar, so pretty sweet.
hurrah i love bartering!

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
I reccommend buying the wooden lady whos large breasts spring into your face as you lift a barrel from her body. It also comes in a male version (well endowed), but this is an aquired taste.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
i guess ill understand what you are talking about when i go there haha

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
booyeh! yewwwww! i just now booked our flights for fiji!

we leave on june the 17th and not come back in july! mini cloudbreak, fijian pipe and whirwinds ! fuck oath im excited

HSC
they're generally heaps pushier in fiji than they are in thailand, though .. like in thailand if you're like "nah that's okay" they usually leave you alone, but in fiji they practically run after you. hahah.

$a®e

HSC
i been to fiji 5 times and i have found the indian ppl are pushy and the fijians are lovely. Alcohol and food isnt VERY cheap..u may think it will be seeing the price we get for our dollar is pretty good.. if u stay on the coral coast, there aint newhere to drink n dine but the resorts and the going rate for a cocktail is approximately anywhere from 12-18 dollars fijian? so i think its pretty the same in price to australia...neway u will have a ball its a wonderful place...

lei

HSC
I'm going in march.. so exciting. does anyone know if thats the rainy month though?

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
no its not... its the start of the wave season

march till november

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)