• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

anyone done or know someone that did... (2 Viewers)

Logistics

HSC
Anyone done or knows someone that did 48240 : Design Fundamentals. It used to be called "Uncertainties and Risks in Engineering"

I'd like to know what it's like and what sort of stuff is studied, what to expect in the exams etc.

Thanks

dddman

Banned
HSC
i think ur gonna be the first boser thats gonna do it lol

MoNNiE

HSC
Yeap
I did it last semester

Its not too hard to pass the subject!
basically you'll be doing a group project, where you'll need to do a preso in your class and do 2 written reports ( there is a 12 page limit to it.. but he might of changed it abit even though its meant to cover what you are going to make what it requires ( ie materials and labour), financing -- though some of the calculations you may come up with will be pretty unrealistic! my group projected a $1.5 million profit!, some marketing and design limitations -- ie Australian standards )

I'll give you a suggestion -- try and choose people for your group that'll actually contribute! (basically its more of a group learning experience~)
and probably start early.. time goes pretty fast!

The final exam i found quite strange! the lecturer made it sound like if we didn't understand the content learnt in the course we would die like flies ( well you would if you had no idea th various safetly mechanisms to reduce risk ). But I sort of gave myself a heart attack when i got saw the paper and forgot everything. HOWEVER alot of the stuff (from my perspective) you wouldn't really need to study to just gain a pass since you could bullshit your way to the answer...for some of the questions!
eg.
Name the 5 types risk treatment control mechanisms. how would each mechanism be implemented to reduce risk.

also try and get keith wiley as your tutor don't get dr turin, there were alot of complaints about him being a harsh marker

Last edited:

Logistics

HSC
On uts online I looked at the 2003 exam paper. There seems to be a lot of maths, mainly statistics.

Is this still the case? I have done enough of maths lol, I don't want more maths hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)