• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anyone else think... (1 Viewer)

smartalec

HSC
last years bladenstein question was actually quite difficult?

Analyse how Frankenstein and Blade Runner imaginatively portray individuals who challenge the established values of their times.

in regards to the 'challenge' part. like, i'd have an idea on how to approach the question - but that was after a long period of time. before this question, my main thesis and essentially holistic approach on the module was that values REFLECT rather than CHALLENGE set values.

anyone else find this challenging? (pun not intended!)

Vidhya

HSC
While they are reflecting the values, if you know the values well, they are in a sense challenging established ideas. For example, Shelley questions the morality of scientific rationalization overruling nature, and since science and industry was the status quo or zeitgeist of the Industrial Age, Shelley was pretty much instigating a groundbreaking (?) perspective on her contextual values. Or something like that. It's the same with BR, as Scott was challenging established, modern ideas of Capitalism/corporatisation etc by showing its negative consequences.
I don't usually find this section that difficult because it's the only essay where no matter what the question is, a pre-prepared essay can pretty much be rewritten with a few added words and alterations.
Sorry for writing an essay haha

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
More difficult than usual, but I think it's still mold-able.

Our one (2009) was quite easy

Vidhya

HSC
More difficult than usual, but I think it's still mold-able.

Our one (2009) was quite easy
Hey this is quite random, but is Arts/Laws fun/boring/hard? I wanted to put it down as a preference but heard it's quite tedious on another thread, so just wondering :)

smartalec

HSC
haha yeah, thats what i worked it out to be in the end after agessss though. (so lucky i didnt get that question!) i misinterpreted the question thinking literally, how did Shelley and Scott challenge the values - like, i was thinking 'um...shelley was a romantic and challenged the set value on technology?' which is a really weak argument and I realise dmy whole response would be convoluted. Then I realised i misinterpreted the question. now i see it as a pretty fair question.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

Analyse how Frankenstein and Blade Runner imaginatively portray individuals who challenge the established values of their times.

in regards to the 'challenge' part. like, i'd have an idea on how to approach the question - but that was after a long period of time. before this question, my main thesis and essentially holistic approach on the module was that values REFLECT rather than CHALLENGE set values.

Wow. I had to do this question for my assessment task at the instigation of the year.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
Not really it is quite easy. And this is coming from someone who doesn't give English the time of day. Basically, discuss the playing god issue, how Victor conflicts with the Romantics ideas to convey the monstrosity of his actions. Secondly, possibly the idea of humanity and its meaning. How Both characters are able to challenge the established values of their times, through again (link to previous idea) avoiding the contextual ideas that are shown as sterotypical for their times. That is, for example in BR, how Roy shows emotions, whereas humans don't.

amour

Female
HSC

I don't really understand this question..
I never really understood the term 'values' in regard to FR and BR for that matter, and how they change over time. Can someone please help me?
Does established values mean like in FR it reflects the value of nature? :s

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It was... a bit of a difficult question. iirc, I got 14/20 raw for it in the HSC. Tough, but not really tough.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
How did you approach the q, shadowdude?
Found my response... first two paragraphs are: "Frankenstein by Mary Shelley and Blade Runner directed by Ridley Scott may have been set in different eras, but characters in them like Victor in Shelley's book and the Replicants in Scott's movie represent a breakaway from the established societal norms at the time and challenge them. Almost like anachronisms, these characters are ultimately punished for their trespasses against 'The Natural Order' set in each of the text - and each composer's treatment of them is that of an overreacher".

Hmm.

A-Nonentity

HSC
How did you find out your raw mark?

So was trespassing against the natural order your thesis then?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I applied for my raw marks and exam responses. $30 for all of them.

And that was basically my thesis... yeah. Worked out moderately well.

amour

Female
HSC
I applied for my raw marks and exam responses. $30 for all of them.

And that was basically my thesis... yeah. Worked out moderately well.

May I ask what your raw marks were for your english (for each essay) and chem and what your moderated HSC mark was? Thankyoou!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)