• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Applications to UK universities (1 Viewer)

bearpooh

Godel is God
HSC
N/A
If anyone needs advice on applying to universities in the UK, I am happy to help.

I recently applied for Law in the UK and have been already been offered places at Durham and Nottingham universities. I should get more replies as the weeks progress.

Addendum:
Have been offered a place at Oxford too.
That is, you might say, entirely satisfactory.

Last edited:

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Bearpooh, how hard is it to get into london school of economics? Did you apply?

Oh and what are the fees like?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
bearpooh said:
If anyone needs advice on applying to universities in the UK, I am happy to help.

I recently applied for Law in the UK and have been already been offered a place at the University of Nottingham and have had an interview for Oxford. I should get more replies as the weeks progress.
At least you aren't posting this in the law sub forum.

@ sikevo: I know someone who transferred from combined law at Sydney to BPhil/Eco at the London School of Economics, PM me any specific questions and I'll pass them on.

Acid

HSC
bearpooh said:
Around $20K / year. If you add accomodation, food, clothes and books you are probably looking at around $45K/year.
And you can afford this how? :\

bearpooh

Godel is God
HSC
N/A
Acid said:
And you can afford this how? :\
Friendly bank manager :)
I expect to be in debt for around 4-6 years after uni.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Thanks for the reply. Let me know if you make LSE. 20k isn't too bad, that's the same as full fee law.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
The living expenses are way more expensive living in London than in Sydney, there is no way studying in London would be at a similar expense to studying in Sydney... I was told it would cost me about $12000 Australian dollars just to live in London for 6 months while I was on exchange, and from what I have seen of the prices so far this is probably true. A room in a sharehouse in London or in a college hall is about 80 to 90 quid a week (it's hard to find much cheaper apparently, have a look online and you will see this is so), so about 220 Aussie dollars a week. Multiply this by 52 and you are already up to nearly $12000, maybe more if you have to pay utilities on top of that. Add textbooks, food (which I was told is about 50-60 pounds a week by my university, maybe if you go really really stingy 40, which still adds up to to about $4500 AU a year for food if you are being tight), transport (depends on what zone you live in, but for a travelcard it is between about 22 and 35 pounds a week, if we say an average of about 25 pounds a week that is about $3000 Australian dollars a year just to use public transport!) and all the other junk that comes with living.... it's so blooddy expensive over there. I live really well in Sydney (I'm from out of town) and spend about $14000 a year, so it's almost like for every dollar you spend in Sydney you spend a pound in the UK but a pound is almost 2.5 aussie dollars.

Anyway, if you can afford it to do a degree over there I envy you.... I'm so looking forward to my exchange though, but six months is all I could afford! I've never been to the UK or Europe, I'm so excited!

Just curious though, so are the international student fees about $20000 a year over there at most unis and for most degrees? That's actually not that bad, I looked up to study at Columbia university in New York and it was about $35000 a year (US!!!) just for the fees!

How does it work going through UCAS? Do they convert your UAI in to some sort of equivalent to the AAB type system thing they use for the A levels?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Have fun! Actually I have free accomodation in UK, so that is the least of my worries.

X

xeuyrawp

Bearpooh -- as much as we hate each other, congradulations!

I expect bos updates from the UK :)

Did you go over to any of the unis, physically? Which colleges for Oxford did you apply for?

What are you doing as your non-law component?

For law, what matters are:
1. Performance on the LNAT (National Law Admission Test )
2. Marks
3. References
4. Personal statement
Which marks?

Last edited by a moderator:
X

xeuyrawp

bearpooh said:
4. Marks: School Certificate, HSC, UAI.
To oxford I also sent University marks and transcripts and various certificates from Australian maths, science, english and chemistry competitions that I had achieved high distinctions in.
The SC?!

That's interesting...

I'd love to do a DPhil over there in historical theory, but Rhodes Scholars always had a big part of school life, which I kinda rejected...

bearpooh

Godel is God
HSC
N/A
UK Law 2006

sikeveo said:
Thanks for the reply. Let me know if you make LSE. 20k isn't too bad, that's the same as full fee law.
Haven't heard from the LSE yet, but Oxford have just informed me that I have a place for Law in 2006. As you can imagine, I am happy with that outcome.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
bearpooh said:
Haven't heard from the LSE yet, but Oxford have just informed me that I have a place for Law in 2006. As you can imagine, I am happy with that outcome.
good work poohboy :)

nedzelic

HSC
sikeveo said:
london school of economics
may i suggest doing a comm/econ degree here and then hons in london?
it's just, lookign at it from an economic point of view - naturally - it would be better to save and do an econ degree here fisrt amd then hons in london (as if you have hons from there you are guaranteed a job; best econ school in world)

anyway, my thoughts
by the way in case you didn't know ANU is actually rated very highly (7th i think0 in all places in the world to do economics

X

xeuyrawp

bearpooh said:
Wow! That is very impressive. Good work :D

Can you please post on bos occasionally and tell us how it's going? I would love to know what you think.

Are you doing a BEco / LLB there? Are you also going to finish your degree there, or is it only for a year or two?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I believe he has already answered your question.
bearpooh said:
In the UK, law is a stand alone 3 year degree.
So in the 5 1/2 years that it would take me to finish the BCom + LLB, I can do a LLB + LLM or ( if I am very, very fortunate ) a BA Law (Oxon) + BCL (Oxon ). I should know which route I take fairly soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)