Are electives modified for difficulty???? (1 Viewer)

Smurfwow

Member Assistant
HSC
smurfwow the fact that people that did q2q went better in the main part and worse in the option does matter.
Bob thats not a fact...
we have no idea how the people that did the different options went in the main part compared to each other. (ie the tests havn't been marked yet).

Thats why i said "if..."
And i know how the moderating would work. If the average mark in the main section is the same for ppl that did astro and the ppl that did q2q, the options wont get scaled.

Bob

smurf.
you fail to notice the general trend of everyone talking about the physics exam here?
most people say the exam was easy but then:
everyone who has done q2q thought it was hard.
everyone who did every other option thought it was easy.

I doubt everyone that did q2q happens to be dumbarses.
its pretty obvious one was harder than the other, this site is a broad enough sample to come to a pretty solid conclusion.

Smurfwow

Member Assistant
HSC
dude... think about it...

everyone found the main part of the exam easy. we know that q2q was hard, and astro was easy (and probobly all the other options). (and btw, i never said this wasn't the case)

How are they going to moderate the options?
by using the main part of the exam... the problem with that is, everyone found the main part of the exam easy.

(this is a simple example) say for instance, the avergae mark of q2q ppl in the main part was 40/75, and the average mark for astro was 30/75. that would tell the bos that q2q people were 13.3% smarter than astro, and hence q2q marks would be scaled up by 13.3% (or mabye astro scaled down by 13.3%).

The problem is, q2q people probobly didn't do better than astro in the main part of the exam. So, how are the bos going to scale the options???

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Smurfwow
dude... think about it...

everyone found the main part of the exam easy. we know that q2q was hard, and astro was easy (and probobly all the other options). (and btw, i never said this wasn't the case)

How are they going to moderate the options?
by using the main part of the exam... the problem with that is, everyone found the main part of the exam easy.

(this is a simple example) say for instance, the avergae mark of q2q ppl in the main part was 40/75, and the average mark for astro was 30/75. that would tell the bos that q2q people were 13.3% smarter than astro, and hence q2q marks would be scaled up by 13.3% (or mabye astro scaled down by 13.3%).

The problem is, q2q people probobly didn't do better than astro in the main part of the exam. So, how are the bos going to scale the options???
But they did as well as them. So they scale us to the smae mark in the option ...

NB: I'm sure I read somewhere that they don't scale however ...

Mr Chicken

With that sort of example, if both astro and qtq got say 50/75, no scaling would occur
but that's wrong
if the marks in the main part of the exam r the same, but qtq option marks are a lot lower, then qtq marks will get moved up to be even with astro, just as the non-option part of the exam suggests they should be
:D

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
McLake: They don't scale, they 'adjust'. :)

"The Board has a routine marks monitoring and adjustment process that looks for any differences in the difficulties of optional questions and identifies cases requiring necessary statistical adjustment to marks. The process takes into account the performance of each group on the common sections of the paper. Where appropriate, statistical adjustments are then made to the spread of marks for each question."

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc/hsc_update_2002_02.html#adjusting

I suspect that the 'statistical adjustments' made are similar to the shaping of extension course distributions to the corresponding 2u component. The mean and standard deviation for each set of option marks would be adjusted to match the mean and standard deviation of the corresponding group on the common part of the paper.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Thanx for the good news, Laz.

But why don't schools like James Ruse Pick rarly done subjects and get scaled thru the roof?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I think the adjustment is only made when the examiners feel that there has been a discrepancy.

EXA BOY

i got insider info..... and yes Q2Q is being scaled cause it was so damn hard, the marking criteria was set by lotsa teachers who didnt teach Q2Q, and the head marker (who taught Q2Q) virtually threw their criteria in the bin saying "theres no way ur gonna get that answer from anyone in the state" so yes.... its being modified and we're all being looked after fairly

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by EXA BOY
i got insider info..... and yes Q2Q is being scaled cause it was so damn hard, the marking criteria was set by lotsa teachers who didnt teach Q2Q, and the head marker (who taught Q2Q) virtually threw their criteria in the bin saying "theres no way ur gonna get that answer from anyone in the state" so yes.... its being modified and we're all being looked after fairly
Who's your source?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)