Are we gonna live with the COVID pandemic? (1 Viewer)

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
There's a new variant of coronavirus in Australia called the omicron variant, with the Delta variant not anywhere eliminated yet, I think this one might add on the cases in Australia. Since this variant can survive till today it should be clear that it is also a threat compared to most other variants. The WHO declared the Omicron variant as a Variant of Concern. Are we just gonna live with Coronavirus and the vaccines?

vivillon

HSC
TBH it's like we're living in a black mirror episode. We'll be wearing masks at formal and graduation, very weird, not saying that we shouldn't but it just seems so odd. There's no telling what's going to happen but we should just hope it gets better since that's all we can really do :/ Also get vaccinated and always wear masks but yeah...
Imagine it's 2035 and we're attending weddings where people are saying their vows in masks and school is permanently online or something.

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
idk your guess is as good as us
idk.. if the virus keeps on evolving it either becomes more spreadable or more fatal. It has proven itself how fast it can adapt in different environments and evolve. This means that more vaccines will be given and I'm not completely sure what the consequences is considering the cases of disadvantages of this rushed vaccine. Since it's evolving so fast and the speed of vaccine development is far slower than it, it might mean that the effectiveness will be lower in the future or there might be some hidden consequences for it.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
The evidence to date on omicron (and it is far from conclusive as yet) is that it may be more easily transmitted, but it is also relatively mild for those who are vaccinated. It's a reason for concern and investigation by health authorities... it is far from a reason to over-react or panic.

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
The evidence to date on omicron (and it is far from conclusive as yet) is that it may be more easily transmitted, but it is also relatively mild for those who are vaccinated. It's a reason for concern and investigation by health authorities... it is far from a reason to over-react or panic.
I'm not really panicking.. I'm just thinking if more of these variances come out does this mean we might have to live with it for a long time?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
idk.. if the virus keeps on evolving it either becomes more spreadable or more fatal. It has proven itself how fast it can adapt in different environments and evolve. This means that more vaccines will be given and I'm not completely sure what the consequences is considering the cases of disadvantages of this rushed vaccine. Since it's evolving so fast and the speed of vaccine development is far slower than it, it might mean that the effectiveness will be lower in the future or there might be some hidden consequences for it.
Vaccinations and treatments work in different ways. mRNA vaccines targeting spike proteins may become less effective if the genetics of those spike proteins changes. Vaccines targeting viral replication inside cells may be unaffected. We just don't know for sure on omicron yet.

Further, viruses that spread rapidly tend to become less severe over time, not more deadly, the reason being that viruses that kill quickly do not have long periods of time to spread... so it is evolutionarily unfavourable.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
But seriously, it is natural to be concerned given the amount of uncertainty. You have to remember that back in 2020 the world brushed off the seriousness of the original virus outbreak, so it is understandable that they are being cautious and don’t want to be caught out again.

Hiheyhello

HSC
i really hope that we won’t have to live with lockdowns forever :( masks however, are something we could begrudgingly adapt to.

obviously if we’ve gotta have lockdowns, then we’ve gotta, but a lot of people’s mental health will deteriorate in the process

and i might just lose all my morals and become an anti lockdown protester loll

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I'm not really panicking.. I'm just thinking if more of these variances come out does this mean we might have to live with it for a long time?
I suspect we will develop over time to a situation akin to influenza, with routine vaccination being targeted to new variations over time. The US has done a fantastic job of illustrating what happens if we fail to respond rationally to emerging health challenges.

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
I dunno, I'm just getting pessimistic for the future. Not I mean that WWIII's gonna happen and everyone's gonna drop a nuclear bomb on each other but I mean growth is getting slower and I haven't really feel any revolutionary technological change except for the smartphones. House price in Sydney is still pretty damn high and we can't do anything. If it's high it means we can't afford it if it dropped it means that the bubble might burst and our fictitious part of our economy, or worse in like how the subprime crisis ended up with. The interest rates in developed countries are getting lower despite lower economic growth, which means that the governments are trying their best to encourage people to set up businesses. Despite lower economic growths we still have a skyrocketing amount of carbon emissions, especially per capita, compared to the green energy we use. Like, how many spaces do we have for our expansionary monetary policy? we aren't America so we can't do the Modern Monetary Theory which makes their debts work as their assets, they can't even sustain that system long now because of China's rise and I really suspect that China itself can solve the issues. This coronavirus has hurt our economy and if we can't take it off our list we will choose between human life and the economy in the future. There's also a tonne of political and socio-economic conflicts in African, South America, and the Western World... I'm talking about these bad things but I feel nothing in my heart. I guess I'm already numb now.

notme123

HSC
why's that?
assuming delta was the strain before omicron, they skipped the letters: ε, ζ, η, θ, ι, κ, λ, μ, ν, and ξ. I'm not sure why they skipped because I don't see any significance in these letters. my guess is that the elites are taunting us by naming it an anagram of moronic.

Jordi El Nino Polla

HSC
People say this variant might be a good thing.

Because if it's potentially less dangerous than the other variants it can take over and wipe out the other variants then we'd be only left with this variant which isn't as dangerous.

Only speculation though, I don't think they've determined the severity of it but if it has a lesser fatality rate it could be a good thing.

specificagent1

HSC
People say this variant might be a good thing.

Because if it's potentially less dangerous than the other variants it can take over and wipe out the other variants then we'd be only left with this variant which isn't as dangerous.

Only speculation though, I don't think they've determined the severity of it but if it has a lesser fatality rate it could be a good thing.
so there hasnt been any solid scientific evidence backing this but anecdotally it has appeared to be less serve in younger patients. We are yet to have enough information to see how it affects other demographics

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
assuming delta was the strain before omicron, they skipped the letters: ε, ζ, η, θ, ι, κ, λ, μ, ν, and ξ. I'm not sure why they skipped because I don't see any significance in these letters. my guess is that the elites are taunting us by naming it an anagram of moronic.
I dont think they skipped those, they just didn't become problems. They name any strain which is considered of "interest" or "concern" iirc.

I believe lambda (λ) was a strain in Peru that was vaccine resistant and had been detected in quarantine in other countries, but it just never took hold against delta.

specificagent1

HSC
I dont think they skipped those, they just didn't become problems. They name any strain which is considered of "interest" or "concern" iirc.

I believe lambda (λ) was a strain in Peru that was vaccine resistant and had been detected in quarantine in other countries, but it just never took hold against delta.
it wasnt vaccine resistant but there were initial speculations that it was

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)