• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Assesment task: Module A - Dialogue (oral presentation) (1 Viewer)

argyleco

I was wondering if anybody on the board could give me a hand with this assesment i received before the holidays. My English marks are falling (below 50% for half yearlys) and i really need to use this assesment to boost them back up (ex adv student, used to have good marks)

anyway heres the task:

You are required to prepare a formal speech of 4-5 minutes to be delivered to your peers, which demonstrates the way in which dialogue is used for a variety of purposes.

Your speech will include:
A dialogue you have written yourself
(no more then 25 lines and no less then 15)

an explanation of its purpose and the way in which this purpose is acheived.
a discussion of th way bruce dawe achieves his purpose through diloague in TWO of his poems set for study.

I have a few ideas running through my head for the written dialogue part but have no idea what they mean about the explanation part.

also i have never once heard of Bruce Dawe and so far we have had no poems written by anybody "set for study"

any help would be greatly appreciated.

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
For the "EXPLANATION" bit, u need to talk about how the dialogue u have prepared uses different techniques to convey your ideas, for example, the tone of voice show something about a particular character. In this manner, u have to show other techniques. You can use the following techniques:

From "Get Smart, The Club"
Thru dialogue we know the character's:
-personalities
-How they relate to others.
-their ambitions and insecurities- by the way they speak and relate, through language, to the rest of the cast.

Dramatic Features:

-Atmosphere
-Comedy, Satire: Comedy provides some lighter moments in the play ; comic relief makes the more serious scences more effective.
-Dramatic Irony, irony- Irony ( the twists and turns in the action, the contradictions and the unexpected) and dramatic irony(some characters and the audience knowing things other characters don't) are strong tools in the dramatist's hands. They create tension, contribute humour, and provide opportunities for turnabouts and surprise.
-Climaxes: In the rise and fall of the action, the drama is pinned on high points, a series of climaxes.
Other techniques include:
-Stance
- Rhetorical Questions
- Emotive language
- Conflict
- Abuse
- Verbosity to gain upper hand
- Quick reply
- sarcasm indicating contempt
- repetition to make a point
- Threats
- Imperative
- Hyperbole

Bruce Dawe is a poet, and from memory, he usually writes/wrote to do with war.

There are books with poems by Bruce Dawe, can't remember the name now. I used the poem, "Weapon's Training" for dialogue last year.

Hope this helps :)

Goodluck with your task :)

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
text i wud recommend:

film: The Sum Of Us

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)