Assessment Task - Bail Law Reform NSW (1 Viewer)

ATAR Achiever

HSC
Hello everyone!
I am currently doing an assessment on the NSW Bail Laws which were given royal ascent recently. I need to know what led to the laws being changed and why? If anyone can tell me anything about the topic it would be great!
Cheers!

simplyinsanity

HSC
Are you referring to the proposed reform to remove Section 22A?

Section 22A was implemented in 2007 an basically stated that juveniles are only allowed one application for bail. If this application is declined, thyey will be placed in remand. This was problematic because it led to a larger number of young people being placed in remand.

Issues:
- overcrowding
- It's bad that the laws are encouraging juveniles to be placed in remand as that will increase rates of recidivism
- Only 20% of those juveniles would receive custodial sentencing anyway

Hope this helps!

esaitchkay

HSC
I don't mean to be a jerk, but a quick google search for 'bail law reform nsw' leads to a lot of useful documents and articles (smh) regarding the topic. An essential part of legal studies is researching your topics, rather than just copying textbook etc.
In addition to S22A, as mentioned above, many other components of the Bail Act 1978 were consolidated and codified - 85 amending acts actually!

I think it will be greatly beneficial for you and your performance in the assessment, if you read through these documents (some of them are long-winded, but they are quite useful) and if you have any queries after that, I'm sure everyone would be glad to help.

good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)