• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

assessment task - biopolymers - question!! (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
hey all
I've got an assessment task due at the end of the hols.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"gather, process and present information from a variety of sources on the progress in the development and use of a biopolymer of your choice

Your report on the biopolymer should:
~name the enzyme used to synthesise it
~evaluate the use or potential use of it with reference to its chemical and physical properties
~evaluate the impact of its development on both society and the environment
~discuss the range of factors which influence the type and rate of the chemical reactions involved using diagrams, models and relevant chemical equations.
~predict future directions of chemical research in this particular field
~justify your reliability of your source material"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firstly, sorry for typing the whole thing out, i just didn't want to take my question out of context!
See the highlighted point, i am not sure which reaction they are talking about? Are they talking about the synthesis of the biopolymer? If so, how on earth are we going to be able to find information on that with equations, diagrams etc?
Thanks!

HSC
how come your doing your assignment over summer holidays?

anyways

discuss the range of factors which influence the type and rate of the chemical reactions involved using diagrams, models and relevant chemical equations.

Discuss means 'Identify issues and provide points for and/or against'

So Identify the issues of the factors which influence the type and rate of chemical reactions and provide points for and against
And use diagrams, models and relevant chemical equations in this answer

I know it says for and/or against but, unless you got a word limit,it doesnt hurt too put for and against

Pace_T

HSC
but which chemical reactions are they talking about?
thanks

HSC
I think its talking about the processes in which the biopolymer is produced? Catalysts used? Pressures?

Pace_T

HSC
i go to a cheap ass dumb school and we get generally easy assignments. except for this 1 point but ><
That link was great! if only I could find something like that on PHB :(

HSC
try that charles sturt university hsc.edu or something site, look up the biopolymers and the end of the 'activities' they got has links too PHB

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
mine is almost entirely the same except we have to discuss why bipolymers should be used as the product of the future. ....i'm already procratinating.

a good idea for these assignments would be to first check out your own resources, such as your textbooks or notes. then look on bored resources. it shouldn't be too hard looking for info though.

Pace_T

HSC
the funny thing is that i've never found this sort of information for anything, ever
it feels like im supposed to research something non existant
maybe my assignment should comply with the information *devils grin*

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

Lil Clutch

HSC
that site u posted, trefoil is great but i cant seem to work out the table it has with its properties- and i need to interpret that to evaluate potential use of the polymer produced related to its properties. please help.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Lil Clutch said:
that site u posted, trefoil is great but i cant seem to work out the table it has with its properties- and i need to interpret that to evaluate potential use of the polymer produced related to its properties. please help.
The table is showing you the PLA is a good replacement for the typical plastics such as HDPE and LDPE (both polyethylene).

PLA is strong, flexible and biodegradable. It also has a high thermal resistivity.

It does depend on the process used, though.

Basically what you want to say for this point is that its potential, and indeed, ideal, use is as a replacement for common plastics. This is for two reasons: only minor adjustments to conventional machinery are required, and the mechanical and physical properties of PLA are very similar or better than those of common plastics. Also, PLA is of course biodegradable and renewable, hence there is less of a strain on the environment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)