Assistance with Prelim subjects (1 Viewer)

yangstar

HSC
Here are the subjects I do:
- Math extension 1
- Math advanced
- English Advanced
- Biology
- Physics
- Design and Tech
- Studies of religion (1UNIT)

I am about to head to prelims and I am quite scared. I want to drop 2 subjects out of this list [Physics and Studies of religion]. OBVIOUSLY. I could choose one subject to drop.
Only recently I start caring about Physics and Studies of Religion.
Studies of religions is a foreign subject to me because I was forced to do it by the principal when I moved schools.
For physics, I never really understood the concepts because of the way my old teacher explained them to me, I never really could understand them in a single flash. Which made me not study. (Quite bad). I never really had the assistance of choosing subjects from siblings or relatives like the other students, so I was quite oblivious to choosing my subjects. I am doing very well in Math Ext (80%avg) and Math adv (87%avg), though for physics I don't know why I couldn't do it (but the sole reason was I never paid attention to the fundamentals).

Ever since I moved to a new school the teachers got buffed. They all upgraded and I could understand every single thing.
I am currently on module 4 on physics and I understand the whole concept (I enjoy this module). But on the other hand, I suck at Kinematics and Dynamics (Taught in old school). Should I continue it? Or should I strive to get top 15 in Math ext get into math ext 2 and drop physics along with SOR? In the old school, I got 33% on Kinematics and Dynamics Term 1. The new school Waves and Thermo I got 50% (A slight bit of hard work, but hardtime adjusting to the new school).

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I believe that there is a multitude of things with respect to each subject that needs to be discussed if you wish to make an informed decision.

Studies of Religion I:

How has your performance in SOR I been so far? If you have been performing at a high standard, it is likely that with a committed mindset, you can maintain this level of performance throughout year 12. There is also the notion of interest. From your post, it does not seem like you would be interested in keeping SOR I as you begin year 12. On this basis alone, you could probably consider dropping this subject (irrespective of the other subjects that you choose to drop or keep) and place additional focus on your other subjects, which you would be more interested in, and hence more likely to perform well in given that you would be able to commit to those subjects more easily.

Physics:

You seem to be finding some enjoyment in Physics, especially after you moved to your new school. I cannot directly comment on the content since I did not take this subject (perhaps someone else could) although I will note that if you feel that you would be interested in keeping this subject, this, in addition to the superior teaching quality of your new school and your own determination would allow you to ensure favourable performance going into year 12.

Mathematics Extension 2:

The decision to take Mathematics Extension 2 is heavily dependent on your current performance in Mathematics Advanced and Mathematics Extension 1 (from your post this does not seem to be an issue) as well as whether you strongly believe that you are capable of taking this subject, which is considered to be rather challenging. You should definitely discuss this possibility with your teacher(s) and reflect on their advice.

With that being said, if we examine the three following options:
  1. Drop both SOR I and Physics and take Mathematics Extension 2 = 10 units.
  2. Drop Physics and take Mathematics Extension 2 = 11 units.
  3. Drop SOR I and take Mathematics Extension 2 = 12 units.
I personally think that the third option would be the most balanced one because:
  • The first option forces you to keep Mathematics Extension 2, regardless of whether you perform well, i.e. it may be a risky option.
  • While the second option allows you to drop Mathematics Extension 2 if it does not go as planned, doing so will leave you with 10 units, hence no backup units. Of course, each student is different, and while some may value backup units, others may not.
  • The third option would be the most balanced because not only do you get 2 backup units which could negate the effect of unexpected unfavourable performance in a subject, but even if Mathematics Extension 2 does not go as planned and you end up dropping it, you will have 1 backup unit which can halve the negative effect that unfavourable performance in a subject would have on your ATAR.
I hope this helps! 😄

yanujw

HSC
It's good that you enjoy and do well in mod 4 because a good part of hsc content is based on those concepts. You will need an understanding of mod 1 and 2 for mod 5, but it's easy enough to revise and if your new school is better then you should be able to do it well.

Maths Ext. 2 is also rewarding if you are able to get into it, and is definitely aided by an understanding of physics (mostly module 1 and 2). See what your school's policy is in terms of dropping a subject in the middle of the year and then make a decision based on that.

yangstar

HSC
I believe that there is a multitude of things with respect to each subject that needs to be discussed if you wish to make an informed decision.

Studies of Religion I:

How has your performance in SOR I been so far? If you have been performing at a high standard, it is likely that with a committed mindset, you can maintain this level of performance throughout year 12. There is also the notion of interest. From your post, it does not seem like you would be interested in keeping SOR I as you begin year 12. On this basis alone, you could probably consider dropping this subject (irrespective of the other subjects that you choose to drop or keep) and place additional focus on your other subjects, which you would be more interested in, and hence more likely to perform well in given that you would be able to commit to those subjects more easily.

Physics:

You seem to be finding some enjoyment in Physics, especially after you moved to your new school. I cannot directly comment on the content since I did not take this subject (perhaps someone else could) although I will note that if you feel that you would be interested in keeping this subject, this, in addition to the superior teaching quality of your new school and your own determination would allow you to ensure favourable performance going into year 12.

Mathematics Extension 2:

The decision to take Mathematics Extension 2 is heavily dependent on your current performance in Mathematics Advanced and Mathematics Extension 1 (from your post this does not seem to be an issue) as well as whether you strongly believe that you are capable of taking this subject, which is considered to be rather challenging. You should definitely discuss this possibility with your teacher(s) and reflect on their advice.

With that being said, if we examine the three following options:
  1. Drop both SOR I and Physics and take Mathematics Extension 2 = 10 units.
  2. Drop Physics and take Mathematics Extension 2 = 11 units
  3. Drop SOR I and take Mathematics Extension 2 = 12 units
I personally think that the third option would be the most balanced one because:
  • The first option forces you to keep Mathematics Extension 2, regardless of whether you perform well, i.e. it may be a risky option.
  • While the second option allows you to drop Mathematics Ex2tension 2 if it does not go as planned, doing so will leave you with 10 units, hence no backup units. Of course, each student is different, and while some may value backup units, others may not.
  • The third option would be the most balanced because not only do you get 2 backup units which could negate the effect of unexpected unfavourable performance in a subject, but even if Mathematics Extension 2 does not go as planned and you end up dropping it, you will have 1 backup unit which can halve the negative effect that unfavourable performance in a subject would have on your ATAR.
I hope this helps! 😄
Thank you for this advice. This aided me a bit and I decided to go with the 3rd option too. I never knew you could do that! Thanks so much.

yangstar

HSC
It's good that you enjoy and do well in mod 4 because a good part of hsc content is based on those concepts. You will need an understanding of mod 1 and 2 for mod 5, but it's easy enough to revise and if your new school is better then you should be able to do it well.

Maths Ext. 2 is also rewarding if you are able to get into it, and is definitely aided by an understanding of physics (mostly module 1 and 2). See what your school's policy is in terms of dropping a subject in the middle of the year and then make a decision based on that.
Ah yes! I just started Mod 5 in my tutoring, my SUVAT is quite off but I am actually understanding it and enjoying it. Speed running it the moment I am typing. Hopefully I just get above 60% in PRELIMS! (GOING HAM HSIE!) Thanks for this! I heard mod 3 wouldn't be visited again in year 12, is that true?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)