• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Asylum seeker murdered after returning to Afghanistan (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
www.smh.com.au said:
AN AFGHAN asylum seeker rejected by Australia under the Howard government was tortured and beheaded by kidnappers less than four weeks ago in a province south of Kabul.

The man, Mohammed Hussain, was thrown down a well by gunmen, believed to be the Taliban. Then in front of onlookers including members of his family, the killers threw a hand grenade down the well and he was decapitated.

Accounts of the killing were given to Phil Glendenning, director of the Edmund Rice Centre, this week. He told the Herald he has verified the events with four different sources in Afghanistan.

Mr Hussain was a self-described poet who was detained on Nauru by Australian authorities under the Howard government's so called "Pacific solution". But his claims for asylum were rejected by immigration officials and he was sent back to Afghanistan.

Mr Glendenning met Mr Hussain in January in Kabul, where the Australian was filming a documentary, A Well-Founded Fear, about asylum seekers rejected during the Howard years.

Mr Hussain told Mr Glendenning he could not live in Afghanistan because of the Taliban and other factional enemies, and now lived in a place where there was a coal mine, "a mountain and no one else".

Shortly after Mr Glendenning saw Mr Hussain, he learnt the Afghan had been kidnapped by gunmen in a 4WD vehicle with blackened windows.

According to accounts given to Mr Glendenning, Mr Hussain was held for weeks by his captors before he escaped to Iran. After authorities began deporting Afghans home, he fled to Pakistan, but the Taliban forced him out and he returned to Kabul.

It was from here he sent a message to Mr Glendenning, asking him "could I contact anybody that might be able to help him to get out of the country because he was going to be killed by his enemies from the Mujahadeen war".

From here Mr Hussain fled south to the Afghan province of Ghazni, where again six weeks ago he was kidnapped by enemies believed to be the Taliban.

Then 26 days ago Mr Glendenning says Mr Hussain's captors threw him down a well "in front of many witnesses including villagers and some family members".

Says Mr Glendenning: "It further underscores the fact that the Pacific solution hasn't ended, and that those who were the victims of it remain the victims of it."

Mr Glendenning wants the Immigration Minister, Chris Evans, to reopen the cases of the rejected Afghans "as a matter of urgency". He also wants the Government to "put in place processes and policies to make sure this never ever happens again".
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...um-in-australia/2008/10/31/1224956332591.html

Pretty fucking disgraceful. Awful policy. What harm could he have possibly done? And now he's dead. GG Howard government! :uhhuh:

Scissors

HSC
1 less afghan at auburn library.

shit, that was harsh.

:(

Lentern

HSC
"For those who've come across the sea, we've boundless plains to share"
I guess that's why we don't sing the second half.

HSC
Lentern said:
"For those who've come across the sea, we've boundless plains to share"
I guess that's why we don't sing the second half.
indeed.

whats also great is that im guessing ~70% of people have never actually known the words of the second verse.

Scissors

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
dude, even for a trolling sesh, that was too far..
yeah, i couldn't help myself. sorry.

R.I.P. Afghan guy.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
scaredytiger said:
indeed.

whats also great is that im guessing ~70% of people have never actually known the words of the second verse.
[in the tune of the national anthem]
rah rah rah rah rah rah rah rah rah rah rah rah rah rah rah rah.
advance Straya fair

HSC
beneath our radiant southern cross
we'll toil with heart and hands
to make this commonwealth of ours
renowned across the lands
for those who've come across the sea
we've boundless lands to share
with courage let all us combine
to advance australia fair
in joyful strains now let us sing
advance australia fair.

:eek:

Lentern

HSC
scaredytiger said:
beneath our radiant southern cross
we'll toil with heart and hands
to make this commonwealth of ours
renowned across the lands
for those who've come across the sea
we've boundless lands to share
with courage let all us combine
to advance australia fair
in joyful strains now let us sing
advance australia fair.

:eek:
It's actually a very nice verse isn't it? No disrespect to the first one but "girt by sea" isn't something I really care all that passionately about.

HSC
Lentern said:
It's actually a very nice verse isn't it? No disrespect to the first one but "girt by sea" isn't something I really care all that passionately about.
i prefer it.

the first is kinda like "my country looks like this, its so awesome lolol" and the second is like "so like, this is aussie spirit guise"

idk. i think being humane should be more important than any policy.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I want Howard, or whoever was responcible, prosecuted for manslaughter and criminal negligence.

EDIT: Where are all those liberal party fags now? Too busy defending interwebs freedoms to care about people dying thanks to their policies.

No wonder you'll lose cleanly at the next federal election.

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
After returning to Afghanistan at least a year ago.

They way you make it appear as if he stepped off the aeroplane and was killed.

Which doesn't necessarily mean that the reason he was rejected asylum and the reason he was murdered are related. People get killed in Afghanistan all the time.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
No the point is that he wouldn't have been killed if he had have been granted asylum.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
No the point is that he wouldn't have been killed if he had have been granted asylum.
And maybe if he had been granted asylum he would have been hit and killed in a car accident the day after.

Unless the immigration officials had direct evidence he would be killed upon return to Afghanistan, there is no negligence.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
It's a chance I'm sure this lovely man would have been willing to take. :eek:

bad troll! bad!

BackCountrySnow

HSC
jb_nc said:
And maybe if he had been granted asylum he would have been hit and killed in a car accident the day after.
Or pushed down a well by a couple of eshays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)