• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

au pair/ nannying? (1 Viewer)

a-m-e-e-e

HSC
I'm going to germany in march to be an au pair for 9 months! has anyone done au pair/ nannying before, or known anyone who has? if so, how was it?

skynet89

HSC
i know a family that have an au pair and they're going well. They're a dutch family and the au pair's dutch so that might help if you have the same culture. She gets to use the car, good accomodation food etc but who knows what type of family you'll get over there.

1harkina

HSC
i was an au pair for an english speaking family living in france in 2007 for 10 months
i lived on the swiss french border 20 min from geneva
as it was a very international area there was an american run international au pair in which there was about 60 au pairs and there were different get togethers arranged about twice a month including culture nights as there were many different countries the au pairs were from info nights on things like first aid and stuff and line dancing nights and halloween and stuff they also organised weekends away for cheap in switzerland
this group made my experience amazing as i met so many people my age to hang out with and were always there to listen if u had problems i madeso many friends thru that
so if u havent got a family yet try go to geneva just 4 that reason or try and find a similar group where u r staying because it was a lifesaver

the job was fine
4 boys between the ages of 3 and 8
mostly well behaved although when they were tired it was a bit of a handful
the mum was in and out during the day
i looked after the kids when she wasnt there
i prepared meals for the kids when she was busy
i helped with the driving - i did ALOT of driving
i did all the familys washing of clothes
towards the end when the youngest was at school aswel i cleaned the house for exta money
usually did 2 evenings babysitting a week

the family were really good to me sometimes they can get on your nerve and u get on thiers just because you live with them and its just like you get annoyed with your parents now
try and find a family who are laid back and relaxed
also some families give u a room in the house and some a little you would call it a suite which has a different entrance with your own bathroom i had a room in the house its mostly fine except i sorta felt weird having my friends over coz i didnt want to get in the way of the family on the weekend.
the family was nice and made sure i was happy and healthy also the first night made it clear that they were my set of parents there and to let them no if i had any problems with the children or anything else

i worked about 40 hours a week and i got in return
Accomodation and unlimited use of groceries i could eat with the family or i could make my own dinner
i had full use of a car they paid for petrol use for the kids driving and also if i was just driving around i paid 4 my petrol on any longer journeys
i got 500 euros a month it works in at 200 dollars pocket money a week
and i got about 1000 bonus at the end
i paid for my own flights
i had most weekends fully off
babysat prob one weekend night every 3 weeks
sometimes i worked on the weekends but then they game me other days off

if you have any questions let me know im sure i could help

good lUCK!!

a-m-e-e-e

HSC
wow, ok thanks!
you got paid a lot more than I am, but that's coz it was switzerland not germany...
I think it will be good, the family are really nice and laid back... they've also found me a job working at a playgroup 'teaching english' so that will be some extra money and stuff.
ummm. if I think of any questions I'll ask you! =)

1harkina

HSC
I found that i got paid an average of my friends most got alot more and i worked alot of hours
just make sure you dont get ripped off
thats important
from the begining dont let them take advantage of you
some people have problems with thier families
the best thing to do is if your having a bad time find another family that you like (its not hard once there) then quit your job
when are you leaving

a-m-e-e-e

HSC
I don't think I'm getting ripped off, I think Germany just doesn't pay that well!
I will definitely go to a different family if this one doesn't work out.
I leave on the 19th of march.... really soon!

1harkina

HSC
cool
that will go by heaps fast
i would like to do au pairiing again but unfortuantly i have to go to uni :( tell me bout the family how many kids

a-m-e-e-e

HSC
the family seem really great, so down-to-earth and nice. they email me every day!
the kids are boys, 4.5 and 7, and there will be a baby born in August.
the parents are teachers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)