Augustus (1 Viewer)

p342i

HSC
The choice of Augustus questions was interesting; one generic (development of principate) and one moderately obscure (importance of army).

I did development and did it quite well as it was the best question I could hope for out of all the syllabus points. I hope however, that it isnt seen as the easier of the two questions, its better have your essay stand out even if the question is harder. I was considering the army one, but the fact that it was centered on significance put me off; army reforms would have been better.

One where you could say how he used the army to maintain the pax romana, how he reformed it into a highly structure and institutionalised body, necessary for the survival of the Principate.

Anways, the development question was fine, hope everyone did well!

mojo_rising

HSC
I did the second part, and as the "role of the army" i did talk about how he used it to maintain pax romana, spread roman influence, and secure his own position.
So yeh hopefully i talked about the right stuff

almightyBZZZ

Snib Control Officer.
HSC
Yeah I did the Army. I thought that the first one was too broad and I wouldn't have been able to develop a thesis that was refined enough.
I talked about how Augustus used the army to establish and maintain his power, and all that jazz.

Wholigan

HSC
Yeah i did the first question. But i only talked about the settlements, and then also other things. mostly his image. was that a shit thing to do? i think yes. :'(

Kell.xox

HSC
the signifigamce of the army as meant to mean exactly what you say.....you did fine i think. But still did the first question because it is easier and more related to the syllabus- agreed it is a lil obscure (b.) but yeah i love this question. It is exactly the same question that was in my trial - actually the entire exam was about the same as my trial...the Pompeii fforum and all my other sections. The principate question was easy peasy lemon squeasy but had to emphasise that it wasn't soley the settlements that developed the principates rather established. Needed to point out his use of prpoganda and the 'Golden Age'

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
I did the army question and i feel i did alright, but I did make a contreversial statment in saying that Augustus MAY have used the army like a bully to get his own way in the senate, because he had his own personal army.

I did actually start the reform essay, get a page into it then thought "ah crap I think I will do better in the army qeustion".

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)