• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Defence Force Acedemy (1 Viewer)

Demandred

HSC
Just had a few representitives from ADFA today, had a talk about ADFA and all its glory, seems quite good at a glace, what do you people think of it? Reckon its worth going to instead of Macquarie or other universities?

*oh yeah, it's a part of UNSW

KfWang

yes it is quite good, i might go there because i want to join the army after uni as a commissioned officer i.e. got a degree, but im going to try out for UNSW, but if i cant then im going to sign up for defence force academy .. dont they issue UNSW degrees as well?

Demandred

HSC
Yeah I had a look at their site, they do issue UNSW degrees. Guaranteed employment looks awfully sweet.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I was going to go there but I failed to get recommended for the RAAF and dont really want to go for Navy or Army (and now that I think of it, if I did get recommended for RAAF I still probably wouldnt have gone).

I suggest you look at both sides and the alternatives (such as undergrad scheme) beause it is alot of work and compared to other uni students you have very little holidays.

Although you wont need a job, you will more then make up the time in military training.

Plus they only offer a limited number of degrees, dont allow double degrees etc. And afterwards the initial pay is good but after that it isnt something to write home about.

Originally posted by KfWang
yes it is quite good, i might go there because i want to join the army after uni as a commissioned officer i.e. got a degree, but im going to try out for UNSW, but if i cant then im going to sign up for defence force academy .. dont they issue UNSW degrees as well?
Apply for ADFA now, get to the OSB, get recommended then try for UNSW, that way if that falls through it isnt too late to go for ADFA.

Kuya

hmMZ.. at least here its not compulsory. in singapore all male at age of 21 i think has to do like 2 years service in army.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
I was going to go there but I failed to get recommended for the RAAF and dont really want to go for Navy or Army (and now that I think of it, if I did get recommended for RAAF I still probably wouldnt have gone).
:eek: you didnt get in? Do they actually tell you why you didnt get in?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kimmeh
:eek: you didnt get in? Do they actually tell you why you didnt get in?
I didnt get recommended because I didn't have enough leadership experience. I was told to go for undergrad scheme, so I have a few years to think about it.

hatty

Banned
ive applied for adfa
sounds really good
i think the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages
i just wanna check out the campus itself and canberra life b4 i commit 4 yrs of my life 2 it
lol

Winston

HSC
bleh but ur obliged to work for them for a certain amount of yrs

hatty

Banned
yes thats the good bit
once u finish adfa, u have a job waiting 4 u
and not just any job, a job that u want to do (thats y u signed up in the first place)

so instead of finishing uni and going around searching for jobs in which u'll get rejected because of ur inexperience and stupidity

uve got 1 waiting for u right there.

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
I used to be so dead set that i'd go there last year. I was training every day, reading the handbook they sent me and all that jazz. Then I found out I have to be off asthma medication for 3 yrs before they'd take me. so that was the end of that. I know a guy who got accepted last year... it is very hard to get in, dont think it isnt.

hatty

Banned
its hard for ordinary people
im extraordinary

but seriously, y is it hard 2 get in?

the uai cutoff? or the physical demand?

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Its because there are so many little things that can be wrong with you that you wouldn't even think of, as well as the fact that they approve >3 times the number of people as there are positions so then you have to stand out etc etc

GirlGoneMad

Kitten Kong
HSC
But if you join and there is a war, which is likely with all the stuff happenning, you may have to go and fight. Think about it seriously. Do you really want to kill people? Do you think it is right to murder the innocent or even to murder someone you wouldn't call innocent but who is really just doing and thinking the same thing as you? Would you want to feel guilty of murder for the rest of your life? Don't risk it. If you want world peace then don't have anything to fighting or the army even if it sounds innocent and you think that there will never be a war.

hatty

Banned
Originally posted by GirlGoneMad
But if you join and there is a war, which is likely with all the stuff happenning, you may have to go and fight. Think about it seriously. Do you really want to kill people? Do you think it is right to murder the innocent or even to murder someone you wouldn't call innocent but who is really just doing and thinking the same thing as you? Would you want to feel guilty of murder for the rest of your life? Don't risk it. If you want world peace then don't have anything to fighting or the army even if it sounds innocent and you think that there will never be a war.

what about during WWII, when the japos were coming down and were bent on kicking our ass.
are u just gonna sit there and say " no nono onon i dun want 2 kill n e 1, im afraid i will feel guilty" ?
what about when the nazis carried out the mass extermination of millions of innocent people?
are u just gonna sit there and say the same thing?
if more ppl thought like you, the Nazis would have conquered the world by now.

obviously it really depends which war you are sent to fight in, there are varied oppinions on this current Iraq war, different people think different things

i certainly dont want 2 kill anyone. but if they want 2 kill me, am i 2 be so scared of guilt not to bring them down first?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by GirlGoneMad
The ADF also does alot of Humanitarian work eg Katherine floods and the bali bombing evacuations.

Also they conduct peacekeeping missions for the UN. There is more to the ADF then just fighting wars.

KfWang

to answer with a quote from Edmund Burke:

"Evil only succeds if good men do nothing"

and i agree, the modern day army is not focused on war, its more focused on helping and defending (sometime defending something may mean hurting the attacker)

and anyway, as long as there are humans there will always be war..

hatty

Banned
yeah i agree

as Plato said "only the dead have seen the end of war."
although there is a bit of debate if Plato really did say this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)