Australian Institute of Music (for classical musicians) (1 Viewer)

Suicidalsnailsings

HSC
If you’re a classical musician thinking of auditioning for AIM, then here is something I’d like you to know.

(in short: Not the best place/program for classical musicians. AIM runs more like a business and cares more about money than arts.)

Long story:
My sister studied in AIM (contemporary performance) and she thought it was great and life-changing. HOWEVER, I am a classical musician and with my experience with their admins, i would not recommend it. I auditioned and applied for AIM (both BMus - composition and BMus - performance). They only offered me the degree in composition but not performance. I deferred for a semester and told them I would give them a response before next semester starts.

Then next semester comes, this time I also auditioned for QLD Con, sending a video with better sound quality, accompanist and repertoire choice. QLD got back to me that they are offering me both BMus - performance and composition. Since I want to study BMus - performance more, I told AIM I would decline their BMus - composition offer. The admin manager asked me whether I’d stay if they could offer me BMus - performance. I said I might consider (I’m from Sydney & all my friends/family are here).

They told me to RE-APPLY, which normally means u send in a new video. I told them the sound quality & repertoire in my QLD Con audition video were much better and I can send them that. BUT to my surprise, they ask me to show them my offer letter instead from Qld Con. This is what the admin office said to me: no need to send me your audition video again, just send me your offer letter from Qld Con & I will try to get you an offer, I will send it to the teachers and see if they change their minds.

This gives me a feeling that they are not wanting to take me as their student coz of how well I performed, but it’s coz another prestigious music school offered me a degree. So I told the admin that I’m set on Qld Con, they still was trying to convince me to stay by saying how AIM is very famous & how it is better than Qld Con (e.g. they said how AIM only focus on music but QLd Con is just a Department from a larger uni. But every Classical musicians knows that Conservatories sit higher than private institutes & has a higher entry requirement. AIM is more chill). they way they try to convince me and their attitude made me frown upon them even more.

To be very honestly, I have my LMus and also distinction in LTCL. It really came to me as a surprise that both Syd Con and QLD Con accepted me but not AIM. So in this case they are a very big dumper. Also, knowing other classical musicians friends, they told me that I’m not the only classical musician who’s experienced these sorts of things. I’ve already been working as a performing & teaching musician in Sydney for the last few years. I find that connection is more important than anything. According to my sister’s verdict, the overall courses and opportunities in AIM is framed better for contemporary musicians. If you’re a classical musician & want to really maximise your skills, connections etc. they might not have the best program. At the end of the day, this is just my experience. I don’t want to discourage anyone from applying for AIM but to me, this is just my experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)