• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Australian Plant Adaptations (1 Viewer)

747captain

HSC
N/A
Can anyone please help me with the following?

Q: Describe in detail two structural adaptations of Australian plants in coping or to prevent water loss. Provide diagrams if possible.

Any help appreciated. I'd like at least some examples to get me started and then i can hopefully do the rest myself.

Thanks and cheers everyone.

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
one is the spinifiex grass whichcurls up its leaves, helps to keem the humidity within the plant which prevents watear loss

casuarinas, arentreally leaves but the leaves are like threads or needles and therefore less stomates = less transpiration

jannny

HSC
Eucalyptus leaves have thick waxy cuticle which reduces water loss by acting as a protective barrier towards evaporation of water from leaves when transpiration occurs. It also reflects the sunlight hence, reduces water loss.

Eucalyptus leaves also hang slightly vertically. By hanging vertically it reduces water loss because only the top part of the leaf is exposed to the sun. In addition since the leaves are hanging vertically when it rains, water will go straight towards the roots which also helps water conservation.

Spinnifex, thin leaves small SA : V ratio exposed to the sun, same with cascuarinias.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
If you do a search you'll find this question answered many times with a lot of creative examples to choose from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)