Average HSC Mark V ATAR (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
Was your average HSC mark higher than your ATAR or was it the other way around?

For me, my ATAR was close to 10% more than my average HSC mark. This is probably mainly due to the fact I did Extension 1 and 2 Maths which scaled amazingly well. On the other hand I know friends who had an ATAR considerably lower than their average HSC mark.

Interested to see any trends.

I'll start.
Average HSC Mark: 86.2
2009 ATAR: 94.65

Last edited:

njd007

HSC
So your saying there is no relationship between marks and rank?
Your an idiot.
There is no relationship between HSC marks and ATAR. ATAR is calculated based on raw marks not HSC marks. Btw, 'You're' an idiot?

shuttle_bus5

HSC
There is no relationship between HSC marks and ATAR. ATAR is calculated based on raw marks not HSC marks. Btw, 'You're' an idiot?
So your saying if person 1 got an average hsc mark of 50 and person 2 got an average hsc mark of 95, you wouldnt be able to roughly predict there ATAR?
Of course there is a relationship between HSC marks and ATAR.
HSC marks are the aligned raw mark.
Please leave this thread, you know nothing

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
So your saying if person 1 got an average hsc mark of 50 and person 2 got an average hsc mark of 95, you wouldnt be able to roughly predict there ATAR?
I see your point but a 80 in Maths extension 2 for example is better than a 90 in like Drama, your example is also a bit exaggerated. Also people who did more than 10 units' average hsc mark could be affected by the units that werent counted.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
I see your point but a 80 in Maths extension 2 for example is better than a 90 in like Drama, your example is also a bit exaggerated. Also people who did more than 10 units' average hsc mark could be affected by the units that werent counted.
Yes but it is naive to think there is NO relationship.

njd007

HSC
depends how roughly you want to predict it. an average hsc mark of 50 could get you anywhere from 0-50 depending on your subjects.

http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/ATAR-FAQs.pdf

check the section 'Can I work out what my ATAR will be from my HSC marks?'

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yes but it is naive to think there is NO relationship.
Yes i agree with you on that point. Due to the nature of averages. the fact that ATAR is a rank and that subjects scale differently means a trend like OP was looking for will not be found unless everyone did the same subjects.

Edit: Yes look at Kaz1 above, the "asian combo" will scale higher. But im sure there is another combo in which the exact opposite may be possible.

roookie

HSC
1. I can spell, you can't, so I think that demonstrates that you, in fact, are the idiot.
2. Sorry, I probably should have explained more than simply stating that - what I meant was that your aggregate is ranked (afaik), which then decides your atar, which means that the variation between average mark and atar is not due solely to scaling, but rather is also due to the performance of everyone else.
Hah! I bet you read over what you had written a few times over just to make sure there was no spelling mistake before you posted ;)

jk jk

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Yes i agree with you on that point. Due to the nature of averages. the fact that ATAR is a rank and that subjects scale differently means a trend like OP was looking for will not be found unless everyone did the same subjects.
I think the general trend is high HSC marks = high ATAR, Low HSC marks = Low ATAR.
I would love to see somone get average HSC marks of 90 and end up with something less then 60.
Likewise i would like to see someone with Average HSC marks of 60 get an ATAR of 90.

Freshjiver

HSC
Average HSC Mark: 92.16
ATAR: 97.45

Hmmmmmmmmmm. The majority of my subjects aren't good scalers, so that's a bit weird.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
^ wow 2nd in the state how much effort did you put into english

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)