B Community Welfare @ Bankstown (1 Viewer)

NicZi650

HSC
Hi! I'm in Year 12 and am hoping to study a B Community Welfare @ Bankstown next year. Is anyone here doing this course?vand if so whats ur insight into it? Do u like it? what sector will u be going/have u gone into? (Community & Family, Youth or International Social Development) I'm hoping to do International Social Development so any comments will be appreciated!

Thanks,
NicZi

robbie1

HSC
i was thinking of doing this course next year at one stage....but theres no $$$ in the careers associated with it

NicZi650

HSC
robbie1 said:
i was thinking of doing this course next year at one stage....but theres no $$$ in the careers associated with it
yeah but primarily im not really in it for much money and secondly coupled with a masters in psycology, job positions for that specific speciality are pretty high paying.

Ellie-Bee

HSC
NicZi650 said:
Hi! I'm in Year 12 and am hoping to study a B Community Welfare @ Bankstown next year. Is anyone here doing this course?vand if so whats ur insight into it? Do u like it? what sector will u be going/have u gone into? (Community & Family, Youth or International Social Development) I'm hoping to do International Social Development so any comments will be appreciated!

Thanks,
NicZi
Hey NicZi
I do that course, I'm almost finished first year (woot!) Its a fairly good course although its been a pretty slow beginning and pretty boring theory stuff.
We had to choose what major we wanted to go into but International Social Development (my first choice) is really competative to get into - only 25 places - so yeah thats sucky. But yeah!! Any other questions :)

NicZi650

HSC
Ellie-Bee said:
Hey NicZi
I do that course, I'm almost finished first year (woot!) Its a fairly good course although its been a pretty slow beginning and pretty boring theory stuff.
We had to choose what major we wanted to go into but International Social Development (my first choice) is really competative to get into - only 25 places - so yeah thats sucky. But yeah!! Any other questions :)
Haha yeah I freaked out wen the lady at the open day told me there was only 25 places becoz i hadnt read it anywhere before. im pretty certain thats wat i want to do tho so im willing to put in the hard yards to get in. Is it all you thought it would be? becoz the last thing i need is to be so amped about the course, get in, then find out its not wat i thought it would be. I kno thats kind of an individual thing but for u did u get wat u expected?

Ellie-Bee

HSC
NicZi650 said:
Haha yeah I freaked out wen the lady at the open day told me there was only 25 places becoz i hadnt read it anywhere before. im pretty certain thats wat i want to do tho so im willing to put in the hard yards to get in. Is it all you thought it would be? becoz the last thing i need is to be so amped about the course, get in, then find out its not wat i thought it would be. I kno thats kind of an individual thing but for u did u get wat u expected?
The course, to be honest, isn't really what I thought it would be. I thought it'd be a little more hands-on than it is. Its a lot of theory and talking about the practical aspects but not actually putting them into practice.

NicZi650

HSC
Ellie-Bee said:
The course, to be honest, isn't really what I thought it would be. I thought it'd be a little more hands-on than it is. Its a lot of theory and talking about the practical aspects but not actually putting them into practice.
but i wouldnt see it as being all that bad, seeing as u do get to put it into practice in ur 4 weeks work placement or the 16 weeks overseas placement. generally its not a bad course tho right?

Ellie-Bee

HSC
NicZi650 said:
but i wouldnt see it as being all that bad, seeing as u do get to put it into practice in ur 4 weeks work placement or the 16 weeks overseas placement. generally its not a bad course tho right?
By no means is it a bad course, just not what I expected! I'm gonna keep doing it!! :)

NicZi650

HSC
Ellie-Bee said:
By no means is it a bad course, just not what I expected! I'm gonna keep doing it!! :)
hahah ok fair enuf :) thanks for ur help! :D

robbie1

HSC
Ellie-Bee said:
what do you intend to do with your degree?

work for amnesty international.....world vision....can u give me some examples of employment opportunities from this degree

Ellie-Bee

HSC
robbie1 said:
what do you intend to do with your degree?

work for amnesty international.....world vision....can u give me some examples of employment opportunities from this degree
Personally I'd like to work with a World Vision type organisation, I'm not 100% sure tho, probably also a possibility of working with refugees, etc. I'm not worried about the money associated with this career (or lack thereof) its not an issue for me.

melodic_gal

HSC
NicZi650 said:

Thanks,
NicZi
Hi There

um well Im not studying B Community Welfare so i dunno anything about the uni degree. however you can actually also do Community Welfare at Ultimo, Granville, Loftus and St George TAFE. it has Cert III and IV and also Diploma. I know this because I have studied this course for two years it is very competive course, also confronting but it is very good course. At tafe this course is actually very practical you do alot of hands on work. Most of my friends that has done this course has made it successful to university doing social work.

Tafe is an great option as well as B Community Welfare

good luck

HSC
i am doing this course but transferring out of it end of year.

It's good if studying welfare is your thing, just get read yfor alot of field placement, which in my opinion, is very boring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)