• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Baby dumped at church...here we go again (1 Viewer)

HSC
First it was in Melbourne, now here...this time it was dumped to the church!

A NEWBORN baby girl with her umbilical cord still attached has been found at the door of a church in Sydney's inner west.
The baby, which police say was just hours old when found at 7.30am (AEST) today, was discovered in a cardboard box at the door of the Haberfield Baptist Church by Pastor Matthew Beckenham.

Pastor Beckenham said he was completely shocked to find the baby girl.

He said she was "very cold'' when he found her in the 30cm square box.

"The baby was loosely wrapped, just had what appeared to be a sheet over it and a towel underneath it,'' he said.

But she was a beautiful little thing, he said.

"She's got a lot of dark hair. She's a beautiful little girl with olive complexion.''

Sophia Joan

Police said she had been taken to Royal Prince Alfred (RPA) hospital where staff had called her Sophie Joan - Joan because she was found opposite the Joan of Arc church in Haberfield, but it was not known why the name Sophie was chosen.

Ashfield area command duty officer Inspector Tim Calman said she appeared to be doing well. "The information we have to hand is that the baby is fine, they are just monitoring her temperature,'' Inspector Calman said.

"Judging by the condition of the baby, she was fairly well newborn ... within hours of birth'', adding that her umbilical cord was still attached when she was found.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21881766-421,00.html

PREACH!

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I don't see what the problem is.

Better the baby be cared for properly than live with a family that doesn't want it and probably can't afford to properly support it.

X

xeuyrawp

iamsickofyear12 said:
I don't see what the problem is.

Better the baby be cared for properly than live with a family that doesn't want it and probably can't afford to properly support it.
Perhaps adopting her out the proper way would be better than dumping her in front of a church, in the hopes that she wouldn't come to harm?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
maybe the mother was mentally ill, or homeless. Most likely both.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
It was sweet and heart felt the first time, but the second was overboard and they'd probably shoot the mother rather than help her. I know I would.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Perhaps adopting her out the proper way would be better than dumping her in front of a church, in the hopes that she wouldn't come to harm?
I think it is best for the baby that she dropped it off as quick as possible and let other people sort it out.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
The previous one had a guy offering to buy the family a house if the mother would come forward to reclaim her baby.

Desperate copycat?

Haha, I'm joking. Really, I am.

But I would agree; mental illness, or perhaps depression which is common for new mothers.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Optophobia said:
ahh yes. Babies getting dumped. Such a new occurance.

Much like how P-plater deaths have stopped occuring in recent months. All the media hype surrounding such p-plater deviance. The quell dies down, and, magically, there's no more p-plater mischief. But there IS however, a rise in a new scourge... PEOPLE DUMPING BABIES. How outrageous.

Suddenly, you have information addicts nationwide, CONCERNING themselves with an otherwise local issue.
I'm sorry, we can't all be as intelligent, balanced, or as well-educated as you. :rolleyes:

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
i don't see what the big deal is. the parents obviously see themselves as unfit to raise the child and left to the good (or not, depends) people of the church who they trust will look after him regardless. you can say they can opt for adoption but maybe they are too embarassed.

one real problem tho, how is the child ever going to find out his biological parents? or does that matter at all?

where's angelina jolie when you need her?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
wuddie said:
i don't see what the big deal is. the parents obviously see themselves as unfit to raise the child and left to the good (or not, depends) people of the church who they trust will look after him regardless. you can say they can opt for adoption but maybe they are too embarassed.

one real problem tho, how is the child ever going to find out his biological parents? or does that matter at all?

where's angelina jolie when you need her?
doesnt matter at all - unless for health reasons.. genetic disorders then you it would be helpful if you knew ur bio parents.

L

LaraB

The kind of person who would consider "dumping" a baby, to use that very inappropriate word :rolleyes: is unlikely to have the ability for whatever reason of going through with an adoption procedure etc..

There's so many reasons why people abandon babies... abusive partners, psychological disorders, homelessness, too young (as in those cases of primary school aged kids who've hidden a pregnancy), too poor, cultural stuff, victims of rape etc etc.

Do any of you really believe that a homeless drug addict with psychological disorders will provide a better future for a child than the future the child would have were the mother to leave the child in a discoverable place outside a hospital or other place to be taken case of by the authorities?

Of course there are other options, but the crap the women cop from leaving their kids at hospital... i mean.... why are we surprised that they're too scared to approach a hospital and leave the kid? Not to mention legal consequences that would flow on.

I think as bad as it is, people should look on the somewhat positive side that at least it was left at a church, or hospital, or homeless shelter, or whatever rather than ending up in a rubbish dump like the most recent case....

I understand the medical history thing but still... i don't think that's enough to overcome all the other difficulties...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)